larch as firewood

firewoodman

at 50-100cm its a whole lot of work to make into firewood

Thanks for replying, I know but there is a lot of it, which I might be getting for a good price, due to some connections, which might help go towards the extra cone splitter I would need to get. I was thinking of using the larger diameters to go to the saw mill and then the rest to turn into firewood perhaps. I will be getting a posch 360 to split wood in the round and that goes up to 35cm diameter. So the more I think about what you say, saw mill seems to be the best choice.

Thanks again,

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why you would want to let it season if selling it in the round? that's the total opposite of what any contractor or woodland owner would want to do. Sell it when its fresh and got more weight in it and get more money.

Its used for fencing and construction markets. The bigger the diameter the more limited the market but all depends on the mills near to you

.......forgot to ask that is it common to need a weighing ticket to show the weight, or ust good enough to load onto the haulage and take there, so for example a 26 tonne load?

Cheers

Larch is going to the mill at £42/tonne, or £42/ cu metre on a very good day in south wales. With PR, and the millions of trees the FC have cut- there is a glut.

Always be worth more for firewood IMO- should be able to get double that for seasoned logs.

Sent by smoke signal from my teepee.

thanks, that's really usefull to know prices in wales. We are based near Surrey. I am thinking larger diameters to the Mill (if they don't have too much!) Then rest to logs.

Great stuff, many thanks.

.......forgot to ask that is it common to need a weighing ticket to show the weight, or ust good enough to load onto the haulage and take there, so for example a 26 tonne load?

Cheers

Most mills will have a weighbridge which is how they normally work out what they owe you for that load. If not the lorry weigh link is normally accepted.

Best thing to do would be to phone round the mills and let them know what you have and an idea of the quality. They will let you know what sizes they accept i.e. 4.9m (4.85cm-4.95cm) 20cm min dia - 55cm max dia.

If its sawlog quality probably best financially going to the mill

cheers

Most mills will have a weighbridge which is how they normally work out what they owe you for that load. If not the lorry weigh link is normally accepted.

Best thing to do would be to phone round the mills and let them know what you have and an idea of the quality. They will let you know what sizes they accept i.e. 4.9m (4.85cm-4.95cm) 20cm min dia - 55cm max dia.

If its sawlog quality probably best financially going to the mill

cheers

thanks for your help, very kind. Most of it is very straight, so would be good. I would make sure that all the round wood that was sent would be very straight. I know of some that don't have weighbridge. I am a novice, can I check the weigh link is used how, from what I know this little?!:blushing: