Land rover/pick up dilema

Bing!

Ok chaps, help me decide.

My old motor is on the way out, T reg fiesta diesel van 195000 miles, not well.....

So, do I get a 110 HiCap land rover for my run around/tool carrier,

Or a Jap pickup?

Or a 110 heavy duty that has a drop side conversion (have found one local, as you do)?

get the 110 HiCap with a view to convert to tipper in a year or two

Get a jap pick up,

or the Heavy duty 110 then convert to tipper in a year or two?

Now I would love a LR but the toughest terrain will most likely be bumping up a kerb, but they are fun with so many things to bolt on, wifey suggested the Jap option as it's "more practical" (yawn), but she is right. The wife also suggested that I would most likely get a very good transit for similar price (£7k-£8k), but I intend to use it mostly for tools and towing, we have transits, again she is right but not much fun in being practical.

Should I be sensible and wholly practical (jap option), or be practical-ish,pricier to run but fun and go Land rover? :confused1:

Bing!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 miles each way, not a major trek and all major roads. Takes me 30-35 mins in the fiesta but alot of my own work is near to home within 20 or so miles, again no real trek.

But a real pain in the ass when I have to wedge everything into the back of the Fester van... Am I being too finicky?

I have access to transits, this would only be for my transportation plus tools, occasionally the chipper or trailer but not a full blown working vehicle. Logs/wood and scratchings at the end of the day maybe.

I shall mark you down in the "agree with wifey" column Rich, thanks for the input.

Wot No Landy lovers out there?

ha, im stuck too! i currently drive a 01 caddy tdi, i have had hiluxes for 3 years, mercedes 312d hi roof lwb sprinter, the caddy is light on fuel and easy maintained, it wont go on a verge though! the hilux is a pig on diesel but it would pull anything i want. i considered geting a unimog instead of a lux but im adssured the running costs are too high... if you need a multi use off road vehicle choose a 4x4 pickup, if you need a tipper, buy a transit! im going to try keeping the caddy and get the hilux ( i dont have any car)

After twenty years of Land Rover ownership I switched to a Ford Ranger Super cab last year. Until the last year or so, I worked in an office job and had the Land Rover as I always wanted one from the moment I got my first Britains farm one as a young lad. I loved driving Series motors then Defenders and ended up with a Freelander and used to off road a lot, use them for shooting and as every day transport.

The Ranger came about because I started a firewood/gardening business and needed something bigger than the Freelander/Defenders. Whilst I would have another Defender tomorrow, I love the Ranger - more mpg, more comfortable, your right elbow can actually stay in the cab, the wipers go fast and faster rather than slow and stop, the heater puts out...heat,the super cab configuration means you actually have somewhere to store stuff and the pick up is bigger volume wise than a 90 or 110 (apart from the hi-cap).

You would save money with a non Land Rover as will probably be more economical but more importantly there are not the huge range of extras to buy for them!

If you WANT a Land Rover then buy one...the question is do you NEED one?