newbie on arbtalk!

RHA-adam

hi guys first off a little intro, after 7 years in the army ive decided enough is enough and i want out so in less than 12 months i will be. haveing had alot of time away out of the country i have had lots of time to think aswell as time for research into my new choice of carrier! and after a while i kept comeing back to tree care and spent many a late night trawling this fine site and many others ive set my sights firmly on this! im looking into a 28 day course with kingswood training in kent, any of arbtalk members with good things to say about them, or reccomendations for anywhere else? oh and this might be a bone question but how many guys does it take minnimum to be a fully functioning crew and what are theyre roles and responsibilities? look forward to your replys and atleast go a little easy on me fellas! and ladies(are there many at all in this trade?)

adz

Welcome Adam, good luck in your new career and thank you for serving our country. I hope you find work in the Arb world, it's not the best time to be starting out but if you are a grafter and have some common sense then you should be ok. :)

Hi Adz, welcome, its always nice to see an introduction like this.

If you intend going it on your own(that it sounds like), I wish you well in your quest, but I aren't going to paint it rosey, its going to be hard especially in the current climate.

As for size of crew, you may be able to do bits on your own, but if you're climbing you should have another guy qualified with you. In a perfect world you would work in a group of 3, but that comes with time, as does the truck full of kit, chipper etc.

All the best mate, it s a very different world to the army, good luck.

Same advice I have seen before. Get basic tickets for starters and find a company to work for. Get a feel for what is done and how it's done.

What is stated in books etc is not always the way it works on the ground, for putting boots on the ground most I have worked with have been three min, climber, brash dragger, and a groundie brash dragger with rescue ticket. This would be min for me.

Take it your on the last year notice. Got a long way to go. Are you looking into climbing yourself?

Don't forget tipper, chipper. Vital for this work if you are going for tree target specific.

What else would you be looking into doing? Hedge cutting grass cutting, have to have something to do when to doing tree work.

Re Kingswood, I have heard only good about them, I have watched a couple of demos they have run, excellent presentation :thumbup:

re typical crew, maybe 3man, either a climber and 2 groundies or 2 climbers 1 groundie. One of the groundies should be capable and qualified in Aerial Rescue.

how much work is there? Some are doing ok, some are struggling, maybe down to area.

Would I do this job if I was just starting out, damn right I would.

i hope you find this job as rewarding as I and many others have.

Thanks to you and all your colleagues for your service. all the best Andy. :thumbup1:

Welcome Adam,

As others have said above really.

Regarding team numbers, when I first started out the company i was employed by rarely sent out 3 man teams. We generally worked in 2 man teams. It was hard work and everyone was always busy, with the theory being with a 3 man crew there would always be someone standing around. This is true to a degree, but if all 3 are experience and work well together it can be a very efficient set up and easier on each individual over the course of the day.

hi guys first off a little intro, after 7 years in the army ive decided enough is enough and i want out so in less than 12 months i will be. haveing had alot of time away out of the country i have had lots of time to think aswell as time for research into my new choice of carrier! and after a while i kept comeing back to tree care and spent many a late night trawling this fine site and many others ive set my sights firmly on this! im looking into a 28 day course with kingswood training in kent, any of arbtalk members with good things to say about them, or reccomendations for anywhere else? oh and this might be a bone question but how many guys does it take minnimum to be a fully functioning crew and what are theyre roles and responsibilities? look forward to your replys and atleast go a little easy on me fellas! and ladies(are there many at all in this trade?)

adz

HI adam all the best mate in your new line of work you chaps do a good job well done nice one jon

thanks for such a great responce guys! i thought logicly and 3 was the number i could come up with! my intent is to get into climbing eventualy, but appreciate there is a ladder that must be climbed in the beginning so to speak! i am willing to graft harder than any man for a chance to have a job i look forward to in the morning and feel satisfied at the end of the day!

Hi there Adam,yes its a great trade to be in,keeps you out of the humdrum mundane type of work,It's tough trying to keep your job sheets full & profitable in the climate we are in,no dig at you at all,but you need to know that there are a lot of people getting trained up for the job in a tough financial environment,if you have a family to provide for look long & hard before commiting to any one trade.

If you go for it,get some work with a decent tree firm & work your socks off,learning all the time,(you will know how to do that already)!

I wish you well in your choices & pending future,& as the others have said,a big thanks for your service to this country & to those you have helped in others.