Opening a can of worms ... The Olympics, what is your view?!

will.morris

Rich Rule, I'm surprised!! Your an athletic sporting type of bloke, you know what these people put in to their respective sports to be the top of their game, yet you complain about being stuck in traffic on your way to/from cutting a poxy tree down. Who cares, there is more to life than work.

Rupe, spoken like a true batchelor with a care free cavalier attitude to life...

I agree with you that there is more to life than tree work. However, I have a family and have to go to work to pay my bills. Getting to work late means, jobs run over, which mean I am even later getting back to the yard. I then am late to get my kids from the childminders. Which incures penalties if I get them after 6 pm. Do you or anyone else fancy paying my childcare cost over the next month?

On top of this, tempers on the roads are rising and the amount of people acting like a knob because they aren't moving is only adding to things. I have probably seen more bumps and near misses in the last week than I have in the last 10 years.

As for the athletes, that goes without saying. I am full of admiration for the training and dedication they have put into to get a place on an Olympic team. The games itself is a great spectacle, it is just the organisation of the people up top that have already left a bad taste in peoples mouths.

Saying that though, I will still probably crack one out for the 100m womens hurdles.. ;):lol:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rupe, spoken like a true batchelor with a care free cavalier attitude to life...

I agree with you that there is more to life than tree work. However, I have a family and have to go to work to pay my bills. Getting to work late means, jobs run over, which mean I am even later getting back to the yard. I then am late to get my kids from the childminders. Which incures penalties if I get them after 6 pm. Do you or anyone else fancy paying my childcare cost over the next month?

On top of this, tempers on the roads are rising and the amount of people acting like a knob because they aren't moving is only adding to things. I have probably seen more bumps and near misses in the last week than I have in the last 10 years.

As for the athletes, that goes without saying. I am full of admiration for the training and dedication they have put into to get a place on an Olympic team. The games itself is a great spectacle, it is just the organisation of the people up top that have already left a bad taste in peoples mouths.

Saying that though, I will still probably crack one out for the 100m womens hurdles.. ;) :lol:

You'll have to be quick :001_tt2: I'll go for the 1500m, string it out a bit :lol:

The Olympics is an awesome event, sadly though, I don't think this country...and in particular London is up to the standard of hosting it anymore. I hope things start looking a bit better next week, because I'm finding the proceedings quite humiliating at the moment :(

Saying that though, I will still probably crack one out for the 100m womens hurdles.. ;):lol:

Well, the media is more to blame for that than the organisers. They only focus on what goes wrong or could go wrong.

Look at the run up to Euro 2012, all the news was about polish racists, nothing about the wonderful country of poland or much about the game of football (gay though it is).

Who cares if G4S have screwed up, its their loss, plenty of good will come from the games, and the majority of the soldiers sent there are loving it!! G4S already stands for Good for soldiers. But I expect the media will continue to pick out the negatives. I am sure lots went wrong on the build up to Bejing, only difference there was that the offenders were shot and there is no free media!!

Jessica Ennis for me BTW, and you get to see her do ten events, or is it twelve, who cares!

The Olympics is an awesome event, sadly though, I don't think this country...and in particular London is up to the standard of hosting it anymore. I hope things start looking a bit better next week, because I'm finding the proceedings quite humiliating at the moment :(

Seriously, stop watching the news!! It will all be fine.

Another thing I thought was this: If you go to ten mates houses for dinner then eventually its your turn. You might not be the best cook and you might be a bit skint that month but its still your turn to do your bit.

Its our turn to do our bit for the Olymipcs, and we will do our best. Comparing to others or critisising is pointless. For the next 50 odd years we will be guests again at someones elses house, and I am sure they will make mistakes (that we wont ever see) but overall the Olymics will continue so lets not take any notice of the media attention on the slightly uncooked dinner!

Seriously, stop watching the news!! It will all be fine.

Another thing I thought was this: If you go to ten mates houses for dinner then eventually its your turn. You might not be the best cook and you might be a bit skint that month but its still your turn to do your bit.

Its our turn to do our bit for the Olymipcs, and we will do our best. Comparing to others or critisising is pointless. For the next 50 odd years we will be guests again at someones elses house, and I am sure they will make mistakes (that we wont ever see) but overall the Olymics will continue so lets not take any notice of the media attention on the slightly uncooked dinner!

Good post. :thumbup:

At least the BBC London news is sounding positive now, showing the huge crowds out to see the torch, the good work done by the Police to keep it moving and the fantastic Olympic Park (on time and on budget - remember Greece??!!).

All of our media love to shine a light on the things that go wrong; to me these Olympics seem like one of the better organised games.

So then ...

I'm not normally one to stay out of some good old arbtalk 'discussion' but on this occasion I am taking a step back from voicing my opinion and possibly hiding behind a cushion :lol::001_tt2:

Massive waste of money?

Worth every penny?

Whats your opinion, discuss :thumbup:

...all I'm saying for now is that I'm sick of the news talking about it every single bloomin day, you can talk anything to death!

I'm all for it I love sport and what a babe in the hurdles ! . What worries me is the security cockup and the ammount of dosh spent on a new shooting ground just for the games that will be dissmantled/ bulldosed at the end . Why not spend the dosh on Bisley , the queens range , and host it there ???