bars.......

Logrover

The oregon ones seem to be made of cheese.

Are you using the pro lite laminated cheaper ones? You do get what you pay for and those bars will not last long under that sort of use.

If you got a cannon and it lasted 6 months you'd still be better off than buying pro lites every month.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well im a timber cutter cutter 8/9 hrs a day, after a week the paint is missing...........:laugh1: i use 3/8 64 link. tempted by a cannon one but they are soooo pricey!

I had mine swopped to 3/8 as 325 is sooo slow!

The oregon ones seem to be made of cheese.

The pro lite bars don't seem to last like they once used to but a month really doesn't seem very long.

Are you spitting noses out or wearing the rails?

In my experience pro lites will last about a month using them all day. I use them as I will quite often bend a bar or pinch the nose before it wears or the sprocket bearing goes. Also its normaly the other way round in that 325 cuts faster than 3/8s as it cuts a narrower Kerf therefore chips less wood. It is slightly easier to sharpen the bigger cutters on 3/8s though.

Im using husq bars or oregon prolite bars which seem similar. Ive tried greasing the tip and not....but i agree with spud, seems to be no difference! I had a tip seize up today for no apparent reason. I have found the tips wear a lot at the start where the sprocket begins regardless of chain tightness. Mainly on the oregon bars.

Il price a normal replaceable tip bar and a cannon as it wiill be better to replace the tip as said before! :biggrin:

I have been using a cannon bar for over 18 months, I had it on my 346,357 and now on my 560 and it's great and still in good nick, I had an Oregon power match on my 372 and the nose sprocket has blown after 12 months, I kept it greased as well.

The nose sprocket is shot because you greased it . All the grit and crud sticks to it . best leave them well alone I think.

The nose sprocket is shot because you greased it . All the grit and crud sticks to it . best leave them well alone I think.

Bit mad that, why put grease holes in? Oh well, cheers for the tip I will try it.:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The standard of chain bars is rubbish now. Paint wears off within hours and the metal wearing on heat areas is much worse then even 4 years ago. Spend too much time on maintenance! I would also be interested in a hard wearing logging bar. (Are the ones used with rescue carbide chain better?)

Oregon and Husqvarna are made in the same place now?

We used brushcutter bevel gears grease as it make the roller needles last longer.

Cannot rate Cannon bars enough. After I went through 4 prolite in a month I swapped. First Cannon bought at last APF, and granted I don't do as many hours on the saw now, it's still fine. Replaced nose sprocket once and only just started having to dress the rails. Expensive but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

As for the power match - I have one on an older saw but never really used it much. Can't imagine it'll last anywhere near as long as a Cannon but should be a lot better than the prolite.

The standard of chain bars is rubbish now. Paint wears off within hours and the metal wearing on heat areas is much worse then even 4 years ago. Spend too much time on maintenance! I would also be interested in a hard wearing logging bar. (Are the ones used with rescue carbide chain better?)

Oregon and Husqvarna are made in the same place now?

We used brushcutter bevel gears grease as it make the roller needles last longer.

Husky have their own bar bar plant there are some differences you can visibly see between the bars, Husky rivets are pronounced where Oregon rivets are chamfered.

The fact is that saws are improving at such a pace with high torque, faster chain speed which is far harder on bars and chain than 4 years ago. One suggestion is to try Oregon powermatch replaceable nose bars, they have a slightly wider nose which copes better with higher chain speeds, bar/chain/sprocket maintenance needs to step up a gear and be regularly checked as well.

As for the power match - I have one on an older saw but never really used it much. Can't imagine it'll last anywhere near as long as a Cannon but should be a lot better than the prolite.

The powermatch are much better than pro lites but I don't think that far behind Cannon.... I've had 9 cannon bars from carving to 60" milling and still find I have to dress the rails fairly regularly.

As said they are very good quality but not everlasting.

Late next month I will be taking a large shipment of Sugihara bars from Japan which have an excellent reputation. These will range from the 12" laminated bars for top handled saws up to 46" solid sprocket nose pro bars..... prices will be good (above powermatch but below cannon) and will be doing an introductory offer on them...

:001_smile: