cost of tipping

log supplier

i know the company that i do a bit for charges £76 +vat per ton for disposal of green waste whether its been processed into chip or not.

they take all the council green waste from refuse sites, everything is then put through a 400hp shredder then sold as biomass to power stations.

:scared1: £76 a ton, good to see the council wisely spending tax payers money :sneaky2:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an absorbent base layer when used a few inches deep then a covering of straw ontop

Yeah, this is what I've been telling them, and that it will make the straw last longer.

The next question is do we charge them by the ton of woodchip delivered or ton of raw timber plus hourly rate of the chipper/tractor to chip on site.......:confused1:

I think we'll try a "time-and-motion" with a friendly farmer and see how the figures balance.....

I think it will always be an alternative, in my experience the immaculate well run farm that makes good money isnt interested in chip, but the farm that tips all its crap over the banking infront of the house cant get enough of it. as long as its free.

I think there must be an issue with the fungi as well, but i know the chickens love it. For a quick fix to soak up the sloppy mud its great, but what do you do with it once you are finished with it, dung and straw can be spread on the fields because it breaks down quick.

to sell it on a large scale to farms you would need to speak to cattle or sheep farmers who deep litter their animals. i think selling it as a processed product would be the way forward as i know farmers would only go start knocking down their own timber instead of buying it in, mind you i suppose if your chipping at an hourly rate a little extra timber wont be too bad.

i very much doubt it will be used as a direct replacement for straw but used in conjunction with it either to reduce foot damage on concrete yards or to be used under straw.

you only have to look at how gypsum is recycled now to see how its taken off, the sheets of plaster board are stripped of their paper which is now a animal bedding product and the gypsum itself is spread on the fields.

I've been involved in woodchip and cattle corals for a while.There's been a lot of interest from beef farmers especially in the north and border,some farmers are keeping 100's of cattle outside on chip.

Keeping cattle in corals over winter on straw costs about £80 per head if you use wood chip it can come down to £8 per head. The corals have to be constructed in a certain way and the chip has to be big and the sasmo chipper is the preffered unit. If you think of a cow laid on wet straw,it losses heat or stands back up and uses energy (more food).If the coral is chip on stone the liquids the cow produces run through and the top stays dry.cow is happy to lay down and stays dry..Try google "cattle corals" or contact a company called Yorwaste. There's been some good work about,cutting farmers woods to produce chip for them

I have a friend with a recycling company in the North West who will collect green waste as long as there is enough to warrent him sending his truck to collect it, he has asked me to speak with tree surgeons etc about what they do with their waste whilst I am out and about. depending on the type of waste ie, whether it is wood, chips, root waste or hedge cuttings etc depends on whether he can pay for it , just remove it at no cost to the producer or have to charge for it's removal. If someone produces enough waste he will leave a hook loader skip on your site for you to fill.

He is having some literature printed up with what he is looking for and the rates, if you are interested PM me and I will pass on your details, he will travel out of the North West but rates will vary dependant on distance.

have our own yard where chippings get spread out and sink into the fens, horse paddocks, allotments ect

recieved a flier from AHS recycling (i think) for free tip of chip, brash, logs ect at a peterborough plant

never ever pay, someone always wants it

Sounds like AHS we have a site in Peterborough.