Glyphosate and trees

Tom Joye

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way Skyhuck.

Your 'patronizing extremists' comment says more about you than me. You might want to put your brain in gear next time.

I did not know I came across as extreme :confused1: I like to think I'm fairly pragmatic and open to deferent points of view.

I do not like others trying to tell me what to do and try not to tell other what they should do, if you can give me an example of my "extremism" I would be most interested.

This is genuine, I am always keen to hear someones view of me, "to have the gift too see our selfs as others see us" and all that:001_smile:

I am very concerned with people's casual and comfortable attitudes towards pesticides. The general concensus being that as long as they follow the labels all is well. There have been many instances where substances are found to have side effects and long term damaging effects which were initially played down, ignored or not discovered/disclosed. And yet, were in fact, known by the company very early in their production.

In the Monsanto view link posted it is brought out that Monsanto was sued for false advertisement twice, once in our country in 1996 and then in 2007 in France. (These cases pertaining to misleading information on their labels.) These were not the only lawsuits Monsanto has been involved in.

In listening to the tape, if your skin does not start to crawl regarding the coverups involving PCPs, bovine growth hormones and GMOs, I have no idea what would affect you.

This is the tract record of the company that we are then trusting in their labels and research, declaring it sound, and using it as the basis for our decisions, without question. And when some other group, granted who is not as wealthy or as well known, comes up with contra evidence or concerns, all we can say is "who are you?" and be suspicious that they might have a secret agenda.

The entire organic community goes on a rant about pesticides in general. Therefore, unfortunately, it is easy for many to put aside their concerns. Where in fact, we should be listening with all ears.

It seems that so many times on these products, what they are telling us is that bugs, fish, our pets and children and even ourselves are not going to fall over dead on the spot. And, for some reason, we are fine with that. We are comfortable with results from testing that shows what it takes to kill 50% of our test subjects. Why aren't we concerned with what happens up to that lethal dose? It has been proven there are many ill effects that do not cause immediate demise. But for some reason, we are ok with those?

The disruption of the delicate balance in the soil for a healthy growing environment is all too easy to accomplish. The use of pesticides disrupts that balance. That is a fact.

Evidently the link for viewing the Monsanto video no longer works on this thread. Google Monsanto. Google falsified documents from Monsanto. But for whatever, read between the lines.

It is advised that we not believe everything we read when not from a trusted source. I am saying how can you believe everything a large multi-national company tells you about a product without prejudice when their sole basis for promotion is economics.

Whereas, the whole original establishment of the organic community and others for fighting chemical products was concern about the long term effects and the welfare for people and the planet.

I urge anyone using these products to give serious consideration as to their necessity.

Sylvia

I have been watching this debate with great interest over the last few days and very much agree that we must think long and hard before reaching for the pesticide bottle. But what alternative is there? I know that my employer will not stand for 40% losses on my planting schemes and as I have posted elsewhere on this site I have inherited an equisetum problem and if I am now not to use glyphosate (which I used because I was led believe was "the safest") what should I use?

Dave G. And herein lies our problem. How can we achieve what we need to achieve, efficiently and economically?

We have been told by the chemical company that glyphosate is the "safest" alternative available to us today. And that very well might be the truth. I feel compelled to point out in any discussion on this subject that "safest" is not synonomous with "safe". And yet many have made that leap in their minds.

But with that said, for some situations it probably is the best alternative at this time. We have, and will, use it ourselves in situations where manual control is not feasible. But it is always as a last resort not a first resource.

Sylvia