New Zealand

teresa green

Hello lads! I'm off to NZ for a month with my girlfriend in december, its been a long time coming and we can't wait to explore the place. We don't have any plans of yet just gonna wing it, were picking a rental car up in Auckland and driving down the country, hoping to spend most of our time in Queenstown (christmas and new year) and surrounding areas. Any help and advice on where to go and 'must see' and do stuff would be greatly appreciated, wheres best for big trees? The kinda things i'm on about, good camping spots, natural swimming spots, fishing, surfing, snowboarding, mountain biking, BMX, good wine, good food, seafood, rock climbing, live music, rowdy bars, beaches, all the good stuff!

Would love to meet lads doing tree work out there, see whats what, keen as mustard to do some graft for the banter.

Cheers

Tom

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the wrong direction, i.e. north of Auckland, there is Waipoua Forest on the unadopted Highway 12; well, it was unadopted in 1989! Big kauri trees there right by the 'road'; in fact the road weaves through them.

Marlborough sounds for the wine you get to go round there wineries and drink loads last time i was there. Fox glacier a pretty different thing to see but if you do go even tho its summer take warm clothes and waterproof as i got soaked when i went. Christchurch is a must to see in my opinion. spent new years in Christchurch 5 years ago which was awesome. definitely try jet boating as well.

Im sure there is tons more stuff out there but that's just a few.

The list is endless so don't try and do too much.

Go through Rotorua, Tongariro crossing. Get the ferry and head up to Nelson for the Abel Tasmen park then to the lakes, Heli hike Fox glacier then hit Queenstown area where you could spend a month in that area itself!!!

Don't try and do too much -you can't see everything and you can always return. We did 5 months in a motorhome and still didn't get everywhere.

Pick up a little camper and have a blast -you will love it!!!!!

PM me if you need any info on owt!

Enjoy the views and go kayaking in Marlborough Sounds

Drink too much wine in Blenheim

Eat a Cray Fish at Nin's Bin & go Whale watching in Kaikoura

Eat Mussels and the Mussel Pot in Havelock

And jump out of a plane over the remarkables in Queenstown.

Any room for me :001_smile:

Ive been 3 times each 6 weeks or more. We buy an old car then sell it. Its easy to get insurance they are geared up for traveling tourists. Last time we went it was 2008-09. You also get to sell the car at the end. South island is spectacular. The ferry for Wellington to picton amazing views. Milford sound is a long way out and I wouldn't go there again. But have been twice.

Christchurch and canterbury is flat and boring.

The arthurs pass is a brilliant drive with good walks off it. West coast of south island wet and dull.

I recomend at least a month on first trip.

Me and the girlfriend are planning exactly same sort of trip, from late November to late January all going well. Havent got anything planned at all yet, banking on a good harvest before we book anything set in stone etc.

Will follow this thread with great interest