Renewal time

treequip

So the insurance for my landrover is due next Wednesday, I had called one provider for a comparison and they were well out of the park so I didnt bother looking further

Now I find that my insurer has tried to take the premium Thursday, which I considder a bit of a liberty, I pay lump sum so it,s not even like they had a rolling dd mandate they just tried taking the money, fortunately I have a new card so they failed, then had the cheek to complain to me about it.:thumbdown:

I am now minded to put a bit of effort into looking elsewhere.

Rant over...............

The government have forced this. As it is a legal requirement to have motor vehicle insurance then it is now your personal requirement to tell the insurance company you are not renewing with them and you have insurance in place elsewhere. If you don't tell them you are canceling then they can just take (or try to) the premium. It is supposed to stop people from saying I didn't realise it was renewal time. You are best paying in full by cheque then they can't do it.

This is also the reason why if you pay monthly and cancel mid term you must return the certificate to the insurance co. Youmcant produce a certificate you have sent back When are they going to realise however that it only costs 5p to have the certificate photocopied so if you are going to screw the system then it is really cheap to do it.

The government have forced this. As it is a legal requirement to have motor vehicle insurance then it is now your personal requirement to tell the insurance company you are not renewing with them and you have insurance in place elsewhere. If you don't tell them you are canceling then they can just take (or try to) the premium. It is supposed to stop people from saying I didn't realise it was renewal time. You are best paying in full by cheque then they can't do it.

This is also the reason why if you pay monthly and cancel mid term you must return the certificate to the insurance co. Youmcant produce a certificate you have sent back When are they going to realise however that it only costs 5p to have the certificate photocopied so if you are going to screw the system then it is really cheap to do it.

Certificates mean very little these days, all "active" policies are logged on the police computer, if its not on there your not insured, if you cancel your policy or don't pay your premiums it gets taken off the system.

Does this also give them the right to take the money a week before it's due?

You must have insurance if you are going to use the vehicle on the road but for all they know I could be putting the vehicle on SORN and using the Bentley for work.