Cock up

Mick Stockbridge

Just send a bill for 4 hours, and leave it at that!

Three hours at £40 an hour plus £20 diesel, I think on the advice I,ve heard I,ll let it go and put it down to experience. however I will ask for pics in the future. The trouble is at 46 I,m a bit sick of still putting things down to experience. Oh well live n learn.........again.:001_smile:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might help if they sent you a pic of the tree by email, at least this way you , can have some idea of whats in store when you turn up on site. Surely this isnt too much to ask of them.

sounds like a good idea, BUT doesn't always go to plan. a guy I worked for a while ago did just that. quoted to take down an oak tree that needed climbing due to the shed at the base of it. In relation to the shed the oak looked about 40-45 foot tall. On arrival the 'shed' was a two storey victorian summer house that had listed status. Every thing had to be lowered and took far longer than the orig, quote and time frame. IME always better to have a good look yourself but I know this isn't always practical if the job is a distance away.

Getting back to the original problem, I would explain the situation and then let it go and try to make up the money on subsequent jobs.

I know a photo doesnt always show every detail, but its better than nowt, and may save a wasted journey. Seeing obstructions below at least mean you can plan to take the rigging gear, maybe the extra bod, so on and so forth. Not as good as seeing it for yourself, but there you go.

I do reports for my local housing association. They call me up to go and look at a tree and I charge £25 for advice, recomendations and a work priority. If it needs work I give a quote which they then except or don't. It worked well, I could recomend proper works and plan the job. Unfortunatley the manager changed now I get "can you go here and reduce the tree 50%"

They can however bring in alot of work so don't get huffy over a wasted trip.

I'm the same stockers, don't pee em off as there reliable work. think we have all been there, i NEVER give a price with out seeing it first, even if it means a drive and a couple of wasted hours, people still try to get a price oner the phone but i just say no, been had over to many times "i have a 20ft conifer that i want down" when you get there it's 40ft over a shed and 3 gardens :sneaky2: