Cock up

Mick Stockbridge

was talking to a mate who is a fencing contractor, he is struggling for work and placed an add in the local paper. He has had 4 or 5 calls from this ad and 2 of them were shocked he was charging around £150 per day , they were saying that they have had quotes for £60 per day!!! He told them to take thier hands off but give him a call when it all falls down!

Just shows how pricing is different , bet the fellas who quoted £60 a day don`t pay income tax and national insurance!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was talking to a mate who is a fencing contractor, he is struggling for work and placed an add in the local paper. He has had 4 or 5 calls from this ad and 2 of them were shocked he was charging around £150 per day , they were saying that they have had quotes for £60 per day!!! He told them to take thier hands off but give him a call when it all falls down!

Just shows how pricing is different , bet the fellas who quoted £60 a day don`t pay income tax and national insurance!!

hes got a living to make, if thinks hes worth 150 a day charge it .we have a gardener that works @ the big house next to my yard (thers agood thread) he works for £80 a day & uses is own power tools :ohmy:

Following on from woodpicker, but apologies for moving slightly away from Stockers original job....

A guy who subbies to me from time to time rang me today to inform me about a horse chestnut TD job he priced last year, but didn't get, had been attempted by a couple of blokes last Sunday.

The neighbour, who had originally introduced the guy I know to the homeowner, rang him up to tell him that two guys had tried to dismantle a horse chestnut.

They had apparantly been engaged by the occupier as they were working down the road earlier in the week.

First branch off, straight through the asbestos garage roof and onto the car!:scared1:

Bloke's down the tree and off in the van, branch still in the roof!

Who knows if those carrying out the job had insurance?

Dunno who did it?

The bloke with the garage/car/tree will have learnt a valuable , but expensive lesson.

"Buy cheap - Buy twice!":001_tongue:

This was what I heard anyway.

only way i could justify less than £100 before the taxes would be for a easy 6 hour day, obvious they aint paying tax on this money. from £100 you will be lucky to pocket £70 without any other expenses i.e tools, vehicle, insurance

Following on from woodpicker' date=' but apologies for moving slightly away from Stockers original job....

A guy who subbies to me from time to time rang me today to inform me about a horse chestnut TD job he priced last year, but didn't get, had been attempted by a couple of blokes last Sunday.

The neighbour, who had originally introduced the guy I know to the homeowner, rang him up to tell him that two guys had tried to dismantle a horse chestnut.

They had apparantly been engaged by the occupier as they were working down the road earlier in the week.

First branch off, straight through the asbestos garage roof and onto the car!:scared1:

Dunno who did it?

The bloke with the garage/car/tree will have learnt a valuable , but expensive lesson.

This was what I heard anyway.[/quote']

i lost out on a big hedgecutting job where they considered my rates too expensive, they got some dodgy characters who charged 150 a day for 3 blokes in who made a start around the entrance. looked nice couldnt fault it.... 2nd day they moved to rear of empty property and proceeded to strip the entire rear section of the massive roof of its tiles. as the ground was soft they were slinging the tiles off roof and they were sticking out the ground still in tact!

they got away with thousands of pounds worth of kent peg tiles

Following on from woodpicker' date=' but apologies for moving slightly away from Stockers original job....

Dunno who did it?

This was what I heard anyway.[/quote']

but that guy thought he was getting one over by getting a cheaper price ? but whos crowing now :thumbdown:

Please don't take this as a dig:001_smile:

Could you tell me how you arrived at that price?

I think pricing work is one of the hardest parts of our job.

And I am aways keen to hear how others go about pricing.

If I was going to put top dollar on a job like that a may have thought,

1 Top climber 1 day = £300

2 Sh1t hot groundies 1 day at £150 each = £300

So I would find it hard to get a price of more than £600, as every thing was staying on site, not even being chipped.

Well to start with the housing association take 20% tax at source, so I got £840 put into my account. Takeaway wages, you,ll have to work that one out as I do,nt want to say what I paid Rich and the other bloke. I know I,ll get a little bit of that tax back in a year or so. Takeaway £140 for the original pre christmas site visit. Wear and tear on tools, insurances etc. My net profit for the job is around the £400 mark. Sounds nice if you can earn that day in day out but we all know it doesnt work like that, on the other hand my wife and I worked one full day with Rich last week, took away 2ton of chip and wood and only grossed £200 profit. My fault as I my quote was too low. But saying that I won the job by being £20 cheaper than the next quote.

Well to start with the housing association take 20% tax at source, so I got £840 put into my account. Takeaway wages, you,ll have to work that one out as I do,nt want to say what I paid Rich and the other bloke. I know I,ll get a little bit of that tax back in a year or so. Takeaway £140 for the original pre christmas site visit. Wear and tear on tools, insurances etc. My net profit for the job is around the £400 mark. Sounds nice if you can earn that day in day out but we all know it doesnt work like that, on the other hand my wife and I worked one full day with Rich last week, took away 2ton of chip and wood and only grossed £200 profit. My fault as I my quote was too low. But saying that I won the job by being £20 cheaper than the next quote.

Fair comment :001_smile:

Thanks for the reply :001_smile: