Cutting rides

It always amazed me when I used to use the flails how tidy they make a job.

By the looks of it it looks like a coon flail? If it is have you had and gearbox problems with it?

Y?eah a Kuhn topper. DOes a great job. No problems as yet, just a set of belts i burnt out when i got an old wheel stuck in there (fly tippers :thumbdown:)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rides look ace. I love ride mowing not only does it look great but you get a nice drive around the woods:thumbup:

When we do ours we do 10' or so up the middle and then take another 10' or so off the right hand side. Next year take 10' off the left hand side. Give you a nice change in habitats due to height.

DSC_0438.jpg.ce75f8863f79ec5f4528be0c8ce7ea29.jpg

DSC_0435.jpg.1810cc00165f93715453306abbe558ea.jpg

DSC_0433.jpg.9661ab0921cc9eac26db478b6ee003ef.jpg

Rides look ace. I love ride mowing not only does it look great but you get a nice drive around the woods:thumbup:

When we do ours we do 10' or so up the middle and then take another 10' or so off the right hand side. Next year take 10' off the left hand side. Give you a nice change in habitats due to height.

Yeah, its nice to have a ride around and see how things are etc in the woods :)

Yeah we try to cut more one side one year and then more other side next year. ALso we try to cut wavey edges and not straight edges, suppose to be better for habitats that way.

thats one heck of a nice tractor unit..

Yeah she is a beauty. Brand new couple of months back, a new model - JD 210R, 210hp boosted to 240hp. Full RTK guidance system.

Its the only tractor the farm has so needs to be big enough to drill, cultivate etc but nimble enough to go fert spreading with or topping etc. Great alrounder

Yeah, its nice to have a ride around and see how things are etc in the woods :)

Yeah we try to cut more one side one year and then more other side next year. ALso we try to cut wavey edges and not straight edges, suppose to be better for habitats that way.

Funny you say that, just been asked by a customer who's setting up a HLS agreement how tight a curve we could make in the beetle banks across a 60acre field. The wildlife advisor suggested it as it's more natural........... going to be lovely for the next ten years working the bits in between for re-planting wild bird seed mixtures :001_rolleyes:

How do you describe the curve tightness of a plough in opposing directions?:lol:

Y?eah a Kuhn topper. DOes a great job. No problems as yet, just a set of belts i burnt out when i got an old wheel stuck in there (fly tippers :thumbdown:)

Don't even start about wheels getting jammed, had quite a few go through when I done it, always carried a long pry bar, but that never used to work and end having to gas cut them out.

Used to cut set aside before and once it was as high as the cab, using a 8100 John Deere. I heard a huge bang from the flail, looked back and it was spewing bits of alloy and tube out. Stopped looked at the bits and it was a stolen motorbike, just mashed it to pieces, no damage done to flail or tractor. I had a good laugh phoned the boss and the police came to look at what was left and we bagged it up and sent it off.

Don't think the owner wanted his bike back.......

Oh I asked about the gearbox as I had one burn out on me, got red hot and glowing, they changed it for a bigger box. Never had a problem after, it then it used to get worked hard.

• 2 weeks later...