Customer Splitter

windfall

I am attempting to speed up my processing times so I am having a go at building my own splitter to munch through large chunks.

I have been through what feels like hundreds of utube videos of other home made splitters as well as professionally build jobbies. Hoping i have taken as many good bits as possible for this machine.

Its by no means finished as yet but as you can see from the pics its taking shape nicely.

Any constructive critisism and feed back welcome.

Cheers

head.jpg.06bd35317067ddb265ae4a692df37701.jpg

splitter.jpg.07fef437cd95d7fb8ab9a38b021a9e11.jpg

MRP.jpg.ddad02efd416607fe29582d7de1973cb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we made one similar after trawling you tube! watch the logs don't ride up over that wedge, mine has a slight lean now after too much pressure and the logs have started jumping out the top. Angle the two horizontal wedges so they spread away from the centre so the wood has somewhere to go. Hope that makes sense!

Good effort! the knives on my posch 30 ton machine curve the opposite way, i.e. towards the centre not away from it. This makes sense when you think of it as it stops the log trying to wander off, creating side tension on the knife...

no offence but i don't think that knife will work very well as logs will try to twist to the side (may even fly out with a bit of force)resulting in alot of force being transfered to the beam and probally twisting it

beam is not the best material to make a splitter from universal column is far better and stronger(but still needs stiffeners across the web to stop twist)

what are you going to power it with a 35t ram is going to be fairly slow with a petrol engine combo and will test all your welds if you max it out

it all depends on what you plan on splitting if your doing knotty stuff a single knife would be better as trying to get a stuck piece off a 4 or 6 way can be a pain in the bum

i hope you take my post as constructive not as a negative if you want some pics of how i make mine i'll post some

Contructive critisism is always taken on board, just not sure what your on about with the log trying to twist to the side? I have looked at loads of machines with a similar knife design and all seem to perform well. Both horozontal knives are set back to allow the vertical knife to penetrate the log before the horozontal ones do thier stuff.

The splitter is by no means finished, so your not yet seeing what we have in store around the knife head. Plus whats not clear is this its no ordinary ibeam, the top and bottom plates start off as half inch on the edge but by the centre the plate is 1.25inch. The beam is also going to be reinforced, just not sure how yet...

All joints have been V'd prior to welding and the ram we are using only has a 14inch throw so the Ibeam isnt actually very long which should restrict twisting too.

Everyone has a different solution to the same problem and I do hope it works but if its a cock up then we will have learnt something! ;-)

Id love to see pictures of your splitter!? feel free to post away..