300tdi mileage

Tree Man Tom

What sorta miles 300tdi engines good for?

Im familiar with the 200tdi but havnt had a 300tdi before.

Cheers

HI TMT i no ones with 200,000 on thats a sreg one and still good it how you look out to them i no of a 200 tdi with 175.000 on still very good on the 300 tdi the heads go on my 1st 90 N REG we had a new head i no a lot of chaps and they say there good engines mate tommer no.s his stuff on them all the best jon :thumbup:

HI TMT i no ones with 200,000 on thats a sreg one and still good it how you look out to them i no of a 200 tdi with 175.000 on still very good on the 300 tdi the heads go on my 1st 90 N REG we had a new head i no a lot of chaps and they say there good engines mate tommer no.s his stuff on them all the best jon :thumbup:

Cheers jon, already pm'd tommer a few questions :)

i knew of 200tdi with 250/300k on them, still ran great. But like i say i not so familar with 300tdi, looking at one atm with 180k on, all seems ok...

But ofcourse atleast with landrover, chopping and changing engines is easy :)

Cheers jon, already pm'd tommer a few questions :)

i knew of 200tdi with 250/300k on them, still ran great. But like i say i not so familar with 300tdi, looking at one atm with 180k on, all seems ok...

But ofcourse atleast with landrover, chopping and changing engines is easy :)

HI TMT tommer your man mate but i no there a good engine mate all the chaps here use them for off road work and there very hard on them they are cheap engine theres lots around so if it goes :lol:then fit a disco one all the best jon :thumbup:

I've heard of them doing 400k +, so you should be fine. Change the oil regularly, cambelt every 4-5 years and it shouldn't give you too many problems. And avoid cheap parts for it - I won't mention names, but a 2 year warranty makes them look tempting! (I had a lift pump fail after 4 days!)

I'm interested in this. My disco is the 200tdi and it's above 200k it's got a new head on it and starts no problems in the morn even when it's freezing, starts after two turns of engine. Have heard some things about the 300tdi so I went for the 200tdi. It's been well looked after by old owner so it's top notch. Got some rust in the boot but nothing major and I can easily fix in a dry day.

So the blocks normally last a long time but the heads can go????

I have a defender 300tdi its got 140k on it which is quite low for a 14 year old vechicle I pull 2-3ton daily and do alot of offroad work, It doesn't lose a drop of oil and pulls hard still so I would expect it to go on alot longer yet, as has been said change oil regularly, evry 4-5k really. Also I think if the rest of the vehicle has been looked after then the previous owner would have looked after the engine too.

If it looks neglected and there are loads of broken bits/rust/dents ets then I would be very hesitant to go for it at all.

I had an R reg new in 3 years it had 260,000 miles on it. I think it was the best 300 we had. It had one new head in that time. Went like the clappers and spent most of its life with 3 tonne of generator behind it. White 3 door with wind up windows just needed some UN stickers to complete. Very little trouble but when it went every joint on the transmission was worn including the splines on the wheels. 3 years old unmarked and we struggled to get 5k for it.