Those nuisance calls

Hodge

did it a while ago......not perfect but 99% reduction in them. The last straw was one call by a chap from italy called Ben with an asian accent......wanting to interview me about italian food and the method I use to pay for it..........

I have all my numbers (home, work, mobiles) registered with TPS and it helps but does not stop the problem. Only UK-based companies are bound by the TPS code of practice, so any calls originating overseas will continue.

On my home number I have a device a called Truecall ( link ) which is great and really helps. Since I still have a caller display unit connected to the line, I get to see how many calls the Truecall blocks, and despite being registered with TPS it's running at about 5 a day at the moment). I think the only way to stop it altogether is to give up all phones (and email, and seal the letterbox) and become a hermit (actually this is a prospect I am finding increasingly attractive)!

All I need to do now is to find something that works as well for junk mail. I am registered with the MPS (mail preference service) and have a notice by the letterbox saying "No unaddressed or Junk Mail PLEASE" and still it floods in. Worst offenders are Lidl with their crummy flyers and those charity clothes bags (two in a day is not unusual), but worst of all is b****y Virgin Media. If anyone knows a way to stop Virgin Media from junk mailing me please tell me what it is! I was getting about one (addressed) mailshot a week from them, so I 'phoned them up to ask them to stop; now I get two or three a week addressed to "occupier". So they have taken me of their list but not my address. They are also members of the Direct Mail Association and therefore bound to abide by MPS rules, but told me with great delight that they are allowed to go on sending junk mail.