working in water.

detritus21

What do you do when you have to work in a stream to clear a stuff. I've just started a job which involves the removal of a fallen branch which is the size of a semi mature beech tree. The Main tree is about 8ft diameter. I wore waders but couldn't have my ballistics underneath as I think I would have died of heat stroke. It also presents issues with boots etc as the waders I have are your bog standard chest waders that a fisherman would wear. Obviously breaking HSE rules but what else can I do other than buying some special chainsaw proof waders. I ended up soaking with sweat as well which makes it an even more fun job.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you do when you have to work in a stream to clear a stuff. I've just started a job which involves the removal of a fallen branch which is the size of a semi mature beech tree. The Main tree is about 8ft diameter. I wore waders but couldn't have my ballistics underneath as I think I would have died of heat stroke. It also presents issues with boots etc as the waders I have are your bog standard chest waders that a fisherman would wear. Obviously breaking HSE rules but what else can I do other than buying some special chainsaw proof waders. I ended up soaking with sweat as well which makes it an even more fun job.

Gaffer tape some waterproof trousers to chainsaw wellies and wear these over youre type A trousers.

How deep are we talking here, normally I just get in there in standard ppe, and change after. This is ok up to thigh deep, if not I get a boat and punt out to branch/tree, attach winch and get it to dry land to cut it up. I had to remove a large oak at Helmingham Hall where we had a crane to lift the tree out, used a boat to go into the lake and attach chains. Unfortunately one large limb had sunk right into the lake bed, and the suction was horrendous, crane couldnt lift it out, so we pumped the lake dry, cut off the limb way below the water line, and removed the tree.

Risk assessment, put in use of floatation device/lifejacket, and maybe rope tied to waist so you can be retrieved if you get into difficulties

By reading your post it sounds obvious that a risk assessment wasn’t completed, which is all well and good as long as something doesn’t go wrong. If there was an accident your employer would be in up to his neck! (excuse the pun)

A risk assessment would have identified all the risks involved (water, chainsaws, slips, trips and falls etc..) and the necessary control measures to put in place, i.e. the requirement of life jackets to be on site, the correct type of PPE to be worn etc..

Did you hold a site meeting before hand and discuss working methods? Was one singular person put in charge and given responsibility for the job?

There are all questions the HSE would be asking you and your employer should anything have gone wrong. In future look at a job, assess the safety and control measures and if your not happy, don’t do it!

It’s also worth noting that it its blocking a water course you can call the environment agency….they will remove it for free

Edited by John Hancock

if it requires chest waders the chances of cutting your leg is slim, (unless you have a big bar on) I do quite a bit of in river work and either put up with the heat, or have it written down my im not wearing ppe trousers. I do however wear my ppe jacket as the chance of sliiping forward or tripping and instinctively lift the saw up in the air presnt increased upper body risks imho.

I think perhaps the risk assessment could have been a little more in depth prior to arriving on site. However the risk assessment has been done so I have my own day to day risk assessment due to the variability in conditions in the area being worked. The area being worked was only a stream. The depth of the water varied from ankle to thigh deep although I have seen it when you wouldn'd go near due to the depth and flow. By the time I'd finished for the day the water level was only mid shin as I'd removed a blockage further down stream to drop the water. I'll be in wellies next time but then next time most of the work will be from a rope and harness down a bank rather than clearing from the stream. Risk assessments aside It is interesting to see what other people would do also from a risk perspective looking at what else needs to be assessed.

could you winch it out?

It was a mighty big branch. I will be employing the winch when we come to finish off unfortuanately the vehicle equipped with the winch has a problem of no clutch at present. What is left to do is winch the remainder of sections from the stream then tackle what is essentially a trunk. Which will involve cutting then winching out.

The pictures don't do justice to the size of it.

tree1.jpg

After about 3 hours work. I'd estimate the thickness of the trunck after the bits that have been cut to be around 20 inches

tree2.jpg