A bit of advice?

Dak

Good afternoon ladies and gents,

I have been seriously thinking about a career as an arborist, however i do have some questions and concerns I would greatly appreciate some advice as well any words of wisdom.

Tree Surgery seems to be a bit of a mysterious one when it comes to career advice, in staffordshire anyway. I will be 21 in February and wonder if I am to old to pursue a career in this as it is a skilled trade as most people start when they are 16-18 in a trade, i am only assuming. I was hoping to gain experience in the job first hand (apprenticeship style) as I have to admit im more of a hands on learner!. Is this the best way forward or would you recommend gaining prior college/uni experience and qualifications, if so any recommendations?. I am currently at college doing an unrelated course, however i am hoping to get so work experience with a local company on a volunteer basis if needs be, is there any essentail PPE I would need i.e. chainsaw boots, trousers and helmet?.

My second part of my query is of career "prospects", What are the job oppertunties in the UK, bearing in mind the current financail situation which has hit some parts of the service sector hard as my brick laying friend has found out! So ye, is it easy enough to find constant work. And in the long term, lets face it I wont be climbing at 60, what are the opertunities of branching out (excuse the pun) in to different areas i.e. consultancy etc. Ideally I am hoping to emigrate to Aus or NZ in several years from now and have heard jobs are aplenty over there, any knowledge of colleagues who have made the jump etc?

And one last thing, in this line of work there are bound to be cowboys, now how do I assess a good company prior to taking a job with them, lets face it your only as good as your trainer....

Sorry to bother you with this I am just really hungery to find out more but resources seem to be short! Any information and advice you may have would be a great help!

Cheers folks!

Dave

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi dave,

Im 40 and only started doing this job this year (partime at the moment)...21 you got the rest of your life to do this.

get to a training course and do NPTC 30,31 and 38 to get you started. Thats chainsaw use maintence, cross cutting , small tree felling , tree climbing and rescue..i think theses are the basics.

I cant comment about the rest i dont feel expereinced enough to comment on them..but get with a company that have health and saftey on their agenda. good luck.

21 and obviously intelgent.

if you arent fit you better get fit.

if you dont have too many financial strains, then dont worry about the crunch, you are in the right hands here. speak to buzz. i met him yesterday, sound guy.

he will keep you right and he lives in your area, he has loads of good contacts and friends in the industry.

it might seem a bit doom and gloom just now but this is the best job in the world, playing up trees with chainsaws.all the best for the future mate.

21 is a mere slip of a lad. Plenty of time.

Forget volunteering, you will likely be used as a hand rag. Get your tickets for the ground work and look for casual work. Plenty of small firms like to be able to call on occasional extra labour.

Moving on to join the “shiny elbow” brigade will need qualifications ND/HND or better. A formal qualification will also be your ticket to the antipodes. Ask Google for colleges providing arb courses.

Andy

Penkridge, ok - if you have transport phone James C Tonks Tree Surgery on 07711 144266 explain you'd like some voluntary work experience (that will open alot of doors because it shows your keen to learn).

That will be your best bet. Matt.

Penkridge, ok - if you have transport phone James C Tonks Tree Surgery on 07711 144266 explain you'd like some voluntary work experience (that will open alot of doors because it shows your keen to learn).

That will be your best bet. Matt.

I would like to retract my comment “hand rag” and endorse Tonks.

Beware though not all are Tonks

Andy