Is this what you meant Mr Bullman

Dean Lofthouse

Earlier this year you suggested how to obtain an anchor in the wee branches and how to avoid side loading them by putting a pulley in above your anchor and putting load directly down the branch.

If I got this right I tried it today and despite my 15 stone managed to get right out on a small tree to the thin branches, where if I hadn't of used the method I would have been putting too much side load on too thinner branch.

Hard to make out but is this what you meant ?

Rope goes from me, thru a double pulley down to a solid anchor

040.jpg.98f2e03483d7db329ad12b26709b7458.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks really good to me Dean.

How's your primary anchor set?

Can't make it out from that shot.

Btw, You Army boys keep your kit worryingly clean :sneaky2:

Primary is a pulley and sling choked round a branch.

My kit is clean because I dont work in the rain unless it catches me out, remember the three day rule?

If anything gets damaged at all it gets renewed. :001_smile:

Ficus: The legs aren't as long as they look, the photo is quite deceiving. It would be a decent ride if the secondary failed, just enough to give an adrenalin rush. (-:

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

Not a bad idea Dean, though the load on the branch is double what it would have been had you tied directly to it, albeit not a side load. I was told when doing rigging in situations like that where there are numerous thin branches that using two or more pulleys is ok. The pulleys should be set at roughly the same height and when loaded the limbs will bunch up, this does create side load but it is spread across a few limbs. I have never tried this for a TIP as i only weigh 11 stone and I dont feel the need.:001_tongue:

sorry i think its crap and dangerous

you have doubled the load on the top anchor

so its more likely to fail

and at some point the drop will be too big and shock all the system

if you had used a seperate piece if rope from good anchor up to weak anchor and a half hitch then clipped a pulley in it would have been much safer and i would have said you actually had thought about it.

sorry if this sounds strong

anyone got other thoughts