Beginners guide to rigging.......

Adam Bourne

understanding dynamic forces and with in the system including the tree is a must, but first you should be able to judge your weights of the species of tree first, this i understand takes time and alot of revising, but once you can do this then you will be able to judge how much force will be put on a system from eg,

a 200kg log on a 1m drop would be a force of 800kg forces like this will become visible in the system as friction (glazing on rope)

but forces like this can also be lost depending on how you execute the rigging load. eg, would be to make the shock load minimal by letting the rope run and distributing the friction evenly along the rope. adding hardware such as pulleys allows the rope to stretch to its own shape throughout the entire rope used evenly, hardware like a pulley will allow you to lower the dynamic forces compared to natural crotching.

My understanding of the Rigging research by Chris Cowell etc show that in a locked off system the peak forces can be upto 10x mass. Obviously this can be mitigated letting it run.

Just my 2 pence worth

anyway just an insight but we will get technical later i don't want everyone to fall asleep on the thread just yet....:biggrin:

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

basic rigging.....

the most basic of all rigging is to use only a rope over a fork/V/crotch in the tree and using a slightly over wait groundy to lower it to the floor...:001_smile: (but keeping it small is always safe as groundys can't fly)

or better still a couple of wraps around a tree would be safer(but bare in mind what type of rope you use for this) braided line would be better as its hard wearing and snag resistent unlike double braided rope's. also if the tree is being retained it may damage the cambium layer so beware and use other methods to avoid this.

another simple little belay devise such as this figure of 8 is better, attaching it to a sling to the base of the tree will help aid both the lowering and the groundy....... but be aware that doing this will limit your size of the branch as you will be working to the SWL of the figure of 8 not the rope.

05062012083.jpg.3bc9210bec43f291d1779dc0178e736a.jpg

The Art and science is a great book but I feel the best book published for practical tree work and IMO is a must for any working climber or groundsman is

Gerry Beranek's - The fundamentals of General Treework. A great practical guide to most aspects of Treework. Also Gerry has produced the Working Climber Series of Dvd's.

Again a valuable resource for any climber/groundsman.

My understanding of the Rigging research by Chris Cowell etc show that in a locked off system the peak forces can be upto 10x mass. Obviously this can be mitigated letting it run.

Just my 2 pence worth

Dynamic forces can reach 10x the mass and higher if allowed i will get into forces in detail later on in the thread......for know i'm just showing how to minimize the variables....

thanks for your input mate....:thumbup1:

The Art and science is a great book but I feel the best book published for practical tree work and IMO is a must for any working climber or groundsman is

Gerry Beranek's - The fundamentals of General Treework. A great practical guide to most aspects of Treework. Also Gerry has produced the Working Climber Series of Dvd's.

Again a valuable resource for any climber/groundsman.

nice one rich will look out for the fundamentals of general treework...:thumbup1:

Adding hardware to your system......

Although lowering over a fork is ok its still not very practical...adding hardware such as pulleys will reduce the friction on the system making rigging run smother and more controllable.....

here are just a few pulleys that can be used as either the main anchor of the system or a redirect to help guide a section away from an obstacle or to help spread the load of the weight in the system......

beware as there are other forces to look out for when redirecting. also adding small hardware again limits you on the loads......

05062012084.jpg.f64cd3091c8eb39f0a0c361a4fe21f4e.jpg

Loving this, keep it going. I do basic riging when i do work for my dad in the small woodland they own. Have always done it very slowly with v short sections as i didnt want to over-extend my rig.

glad you are mate i will post some more once my daughter is sleeping...:biggrin:..........

hopefully we can get you educated in it abit more then you can take your rigging to another level....:thumbup: