Chain... LPX or BPX?

Hoggin

I'm fitting a shorter bar to my firewood saw and need a chain to match. From the Oregon range the choice is 21LPX or 21BPX.

Any opinions on which one would be more suitable? The Oregon web site isn't much help.

TIA

the done side to full chisel is it blunts easier as you got a smaller leading edge on the cutter, but you have a faster cutting speed when compaired to semi chisel.

this is why i like semi chisel as it is less prone to damage as it means less sharpining

Edited by NI Tree

The BPX is more what is called micro chisel which is inbetween chisel and semi chisel. A lot of the chains these days are micro chisel rather than semi chisel the idea to get the benefits of both styles. It works very well.

As for info you can find it here with close up pics as well

http://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/media/documents/chain-info.pdf

If you're not sure try a chain of each and see how you get on as it's very much a personal thing i.e. there is no 'best' chain out there.

:001_smile:

the done side to full chisel is it blunts easier as you got a smaller leading edge on the cutter, but you have a faster cutting speed when compaired to semi chisel.

this is why i like semi chisel as it is less prone to damage as it means less sharpining

I disagree ( in a friendly way ! ) I think a blunt chain is a blunt chain be it semi chis , micro chis or full . Once you get damage and loose the edge you are fighting it . I do think , however that full chisel cuts faster soooo get full chisel and keep it sharp !:thumbup:

I disagree ( in a friendly way ! ) I think a blunt chain is a blunt chain be it semi chis , micro chis or full . Once you get damage and loose the edge you are fighting it . I do think , however that full chisel cuts faster soooo get full chisel and keep it sharp !:thumbup:

a blunt chain is a blunt chain but when you compaire the volume acutly cut you will find that a chisel it will go blunt quicker over time as it has a smaller leading edge and there for there is higer stress at this point so it will lead to it failing earlier than semi chisel and it is this point that dose the most work.

Edited by NI Tree

I hear what you're saying but ditto above - the working corner on micro and semi chisel chain is more tolerant to dulling than the fine point of a full chisel. But full chisel is great particularly in clean softwood.