Considerations of a Detective

Buzz Burrows

Surprised that no one has suggested that if you are a copper and in to trees why not transfer to the Special Branch for a change of scene.
Thanks Mike, funny you should mention that.. :biggrin:

Reading all of the advice you folk have very kindly shared with me, I think I'm better off studying for a Bachelors in countryside management*, whilst doing my certificates and a small amount of voluntary work with local companies. I'll happily work a day or two a month for free in order to get my skills up and build that aspect of my CV.

*I've always been an outdoors man; I have a respect for, care for and enjoy the wild places within the UK. If I choose to go part-time or retire early from the Police this type of qualification - I think - will best serve me when seeking employment with the National Trust/Arb companies/Environmental Consultancy companies, et al.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me I would try and cut the hours down in the force and do a day or so a week in the trees especially while the recession is biteing and possibly getting worse. After a couple of years you may find the enthusiasm wanes a bit. A few more years in the force will improve your pension. I have started a couple of businesses in the past and always ended up back on the road servicing big generators for large organisations. After being on good money for years you can earn 20k for a few years but after a while your car is old and your house looks tatty and your holidays are not as good. I know from experience. It takes some doing to make 4k a month after expences.

After being on good money for years you can earn 20k for a few years but after a while your car is old and your house looks tatty and your holidays are not as good.

but you will be happy.

so what if your car is 15 years old? lower incomes doesn't mean a tatty house and holidays are what you make of them. i would have 100000% more fun in cornwall in a tent, than barbados in a 5* hotel.