Ford 7700 tractor

swinny

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is dual power? like i say don't know much about tractors....

It'd be a project type works vehicle. Don't want to make a boob though and buy a expensive piece of junk lol. I thought all tractors would be able to be fixed :D

Dual power is like a splitter gear, you can change up or down on the move with no clutch, if it slips when you change it could mean hydraulic problems or worn clutch packs in the dual power unit. The operating switch could be on the floor a small round peddle between clutch and brake, or some times moved and Retro fitted to gear stick as a flick switch, don't think 7700' s had them on the dash like other models but could be wrong :blushing:

This is excellent! thanks for all the info so far!

Will it be ok pulling a decent tipping trailer with some wieght in?

And what will it be like in fields/off road with it being 2wd? Is it a recipie for disaster?

Cheers :)

Should be OK as long as the trailer is sensible for the tractor, 2wd will make it handy in a tight spot.

As in length and weight?

What sort of trailer would be a good match?

like a 4 tonne one thats 10/12ft long? or would i get away with a slightly bigger one?

Cheers chris

In 1978 a 100hp tractor was considered to be large, and 4wd drive was uncommon.

So we did everything with this size tractor, from ploughing with 6 furrows (not reversible) to silage and grain carting with 6-8 ton trailers (kit was smaller in those days)

The 'bubble' cab was the first luxury cab to appear, but it suffered badly from rust in the decorative panels covering the ROPS frame. These panels can be welded and do not affect the safety frame, which cannot be drilled or welded.

The 97 hp 4cyl block, did, as others have mentioned, suffer from porosity. I used to have them bored and fit sleeves to them to cure this.

The bronze brake discs could wear, especially if the wrong axle/hydraulic oil was used. The worn material would wreck the hydraulic pump, but it is easy to replace. I have replaced loads of brake discs, hydraulic pumps and dual power packs. Clutches are cheap and simple to do, especially on a 2wd, only a couple of hours work in those days. I could almost do them in my sleep.

Even though the one you are considering has high hours, it has almost certainly had lots of parts replaced to get that far.

I have been out of ag for 10yrs now, but after market parts from the likes of Vapormatic used to be readily available and relatively cheap. I expect they still are.

Give it a go.

we had two 7710's.. same as 7700.. theu used to pull 6 ton single axle salop grain trailers no probs... when i think back it amazes me how we used to do the work we did with them.... they were 2 main tractors on 800 acres arable and inthose days large contracting business,, they would pull 4 furrow reversible plough to help out the 1184 county then after the county a ford 8210.. the 7710's used to do thousands round bales then most of cultivation work with a 4m wilder pressure harroow/4m springtine or 3m power harrow.. while the other one did all the spraying with a 12m allman front and rear tank sprayer.. both had dual wheels fitted to rear when needed.. the one my dad drove then me when i left school used to clock up over 1500 hrs ayear as it also did all the hedge cutting.. the other used to do a 1000... they both hhad porous blocks at 2500 hrs as did the county... apart from that they were brilliant little tractors...