I've shown you how to do it but you still do it wrong

If you don't do it right then you won't last long

This job I can fill it cos any face fits

Own up time, your the pits.

I started out with nothing now look where I am

I can do this to you cos I'm a self made man

The difference between us, a question that begs

Own up time, your the dregs.

Now I'm sick and tired of your moaning, whining, whinging and a sighing, screaming and a crying

About the rate for the job, the money I'm giving, I think you think the world owes you a living.

Oh the poor ye shall always have

You know that's true

Its written in the bible so theres nothing you can do

Except get brought down by people like you

You drive me to end of my wits

Your the pits

Your just scum

Get out of here you bum!

From the album 'Hard cash' a soundtrack to a BBC series during the Thatcher epoch

Regards

Ty

Quality TY, Quality:thumbup:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...

I've shown you how to do it but you still do it wrong

If you don't do it right then you won't last long

This job I can fill it cos any face fits

Own up time, your the pits.

I started out with nothing now look where I am

I can do this to you cos I'm a self made man

The difference between us, a question that begs

Own up time, your the dregs.

Now I'm sick and tired of your moaning, whining, whinging and a sighing, screaming and a crying

About the rate for the job, the money I'm giving, I think you think the world owes you a living.

Oh the poor ye shall always have

You know that's true

Its written in the bible so theres nothing you can do

Except get brought down by people like you

You drive me to end of my wits

Your the pits

Your just scum

Get out of here you bum!

From the album 'Hard cash' a soundtrack to a BBC series during the Thatcher epoch

Regards

Ty

If I worked for a guy that spoke like that....:001_rolleyes:

good point raised there about earning the same money as when you were a young 'un. There IS good money to be earnt if your living at home with your mum, no kids etc. Thats why this industry is great for young lads...work hard and pull the money in.

The cost of living makes it hard for us older buggers with the mortgage, kids and all the other bills...thats life.

I've been freelancing for about 10 years, I'm now going back to running my own train set again...I just can't earn enough to make ends meet unless I run my own jobs. If I was 25 and at home with me Mum I'd be driving a nice car instead of an old Disco thats for sure! :biggrin:

How is this industry great for young lads???????

you can have a bit of spare cash as long as you are living at home with your folks?

and to progress from there?

:001_smile:

makes you wonder what will happen to an industry if only the young and less experienced knowledgeable populate it?

Is there room for us old dogs?

Absolutely spot on.

Would you want there to be room for you? or is it best to leg it now?

Ty, that quote is so applicable to just about every company I have ever worked for, not only tree work. But it is also so true, whether we like it or agree with it or not. The government wants us to work into old age, but no one wants to keep old people at work, they (wrongly) dont require the older generation with a lifetime of experience and skills in the workplace, there is no long term plan in place for businesses. So as you near old age, you at least can be employed as a store greeter at Asda, hmmmm fulfilling for a person with a lifetime of skills and experiences.....not!

I'm off today, its 'another' French bank holiday 'Pentecost' I believe.

Now I am a believer in employing a range of experience.

Our regular groundsman is 63 years old with over 40years of arb work behind him.

Rab is a former London Borough tree officer to boot and we pay him a third more than others with little or no experience.

Having an older guy around with serious experience is invaluable for us in terms of development, a real sobering influence too.

I have to admit, I would rather pay more taxes and retire on a decent pension than work until I'm too old to enjoy life.

The French do have stupidly high taxes to pay for such a lifestyle though.

We pay over 60% on profit as a limited company regardless of turnover.

Now when I got my tickets at 38years of age, I was told at college by the technicians and lecturers that the chances of me finding work were slim to none.

So...after trying a couple of companies here in France I started my own business. After all, clients don't always know you are new and inexperienced.

You can price your jobs accordingly with a low margin or simply price correctly and allow more time until you get up to a more commercial speed.

After all, if you are starting up your books won't be full so you won't have the same time constraints.

Also, you can limit yourself to chasing appropriate work you can handle

(small builders don't build skyscrapers eh?)

If you network with others you always bring in experience at the appropriate rate. Then you can pay yourself the groundies wage instead.

If your life style includes a second home in Florida and changing cars every 3 years then perhaps think again about Arb work...it 'may' not support your needs...ever!

All jobs we undertake pay differently and I will inform my self employed staff in advance if the markup is low as the day rate will be affected pro-rata.

I have only been told once to stuff myself and 'she' only lasted 3 days dragging brash and wanted 150euros a day!

Have a good day all

Ty

It's a sorry state of affairs that makes so many people defend a £7.50 an hour job! That's a pittance and I wish it was widely condemned as such, but the sad fact is that there are people who will jump at it! until the economy picks up, that's the way it will be.

I blame the national minimum wage. It should be abolished so that people are paid what they're worth.