poor pay

brewx1

^^^ Exactly.

I do think people are losing track of what the REAL problem is these days. The REAL problem is the impossible cost of living. When I started working an office job for a famous charge card company back in about 1987 I was on £11k/year or so. In 1995 working for the same company, and after many small payrises and job changes I was on £14k/year and I and I was able to buy my own nice 2 bed ground floor flat in Brighton for £20k, pay for travel and holidays, pay the bills etc for me and the Mrs and kid, and the Mrs's income was plenty to pay for food and a bit of saving. I worried at times I went £100 overdrawn!

But NOW, 17 years down the line, my income (after tax etc) is still the same, I no longer get paid holidays or sick pay, I no longer have money going into a pension and my wife is out of work apart from a few hours of childminding a month. If cost of living etc was still the same as it was 17 years ago then we'd probably still be ok. But the FACT is cost of living has gone up massively, house prices have gone up massively, vehicle tax and fuel costs etc have gone up massively, yet pay for most jobs hasn't gone up to match. The charge card company I started working for over 20 years ago still has similar starting salaries to what I started on, and they fill those jobs easily because there's too many people in this country who have to work for what isn't even a living wage because there is no option.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called inflation over here Pedroski. Since the governments that continue to print more currency and do not have to work with a budget the results will be the same and worse for many other folks not even born yet. You folks won't have to wait much longer to see what awaits many countries on your side of the pond. Just look at Greeks, things are about to get really nasty for them folks.

easy-lift guy

good point raised there about earning the same money as when you were a young 'un. There IS good money to be earnt if your living at home with your mum, no kids etc. Thats why this industry is great for young lads...work hard and pull the money in.

The cost of living makes it hard for us older buggers with the mortgage, kids and all the other bills...thats life.

I've been freelancing for about 10 years, I'm now going back to running my own train set again...I just can't earn enough to make ends meet unless I run my own jobs. If I was 25 and at home with me Mum I'd be driving a nice car instead of an old Disco thats for sure! :biggrin:

good point raised there about earning the same money as when you were a young 'un. There IS good money to be earnt if your living at home with your mum, no kids etc. Thats why this industry is great for young lads...work hard and pull the money in.

The cost of living makes it hard for us older buggers with the mortgage, kids and all the other bills...thats life.

I've been freelancing for about 10 years, I'm now going back to running my own train set again...I just can't earn enough to make ends meet unless I run my own jobs. If I was 25 and at home with me Mum I'd be driving a nice car instead of an old Disco thats for sure! :biggrin:

:001_smile:

makes you wonder what will happen to an industry if only the young and less experienced knowledgeable populate it?

Is there room for us old dogs?

Well...

I've shown you how to do it but you still do it wrong

If you don't do it right then you won't last long

This job I can fill it cos any face fits

Own up time, your the pits.

I started out with nothing now look where I am

I can do this to you cos I'm a self made man

The difference between us, a question that begs

Own up time, your the dregs.

Now I'm sick and tired of your moaning, whining, whinging and a sighing, screaming and a crying

About the rate for the job, the money I'm giving, I think you think the world owes you a living.

Oh the poor ye shall always have

You know that's true

Its written in the bible so theres nothing you can do

Except get brought down by people like you

You drive me to end of my wits

Your the pits

Your just scum

Get out of here you bum!

From the album 'Hard cash' a soundtrack to a BBC series during the Thatcher epoch

Regards

Ty