So, this 'ere new 560 and the like, can they be modded?

18 stoner

Spud, have you given a 372 the spud treatment yet? I'm going to dig out the barrel that came off mine when I bought it - from what I can gather it was run on neat fuel so if it will clean up well enough might you fancy giving it a fettle?

Not done a 372 yet, pretty standard design so should be able to get more out of it.

I would really need the whole machine rather than just a cylinder. Bare minimum is the piston and cylinder - need to check the clearence between piston skirts and the ports.

Doing the whole machine is best as that way, correct carb setting can be done as well.

I'm not scared, we're hopefully sticking a 15" and 9 toother on brett's 3120 :laugh1:

If we can find somwhere for a cut off, one way or another I'll try and get a 560 along for you to try if you've not got one by then :thumbup1:

3120 sounds scary!:001_huh::thumbup:

Tomorrow will be a decision day Chris, I may end up with a 560 yet:sneaky2:

3120 sounds scary!:001_huh::thumbup:

Tomorrow will be a decision day Chris, I may end up with a 560 yet:sneaky2:

I really don't think you'd be disappointed with a 560 (especially compared to a stihl :lol: ) - it's on my shopping list but I've too many saws as it is at the mo and the 372 on little bar is doing a good job in the 560 sized stuff we're in at the mo.

Hi all

Yeah, did a pop up and a muffler mod to my 560, and it went like hell, and i mean like hell!!! The only saw that had half a chance with it was a 395, which had also been ported. Software wise, not much of an issue but there is a nack to doing it. I haven't put any vids up or mentioned much about it, but all i can say is, my saw will be at the UK logging competition. And ive currently got another brand new saw never seen timber sat in the shed which has all the mods done to it, and it maybe going on ebay, as it was built for a customer who hasnt paid up. After the Royal Welsh i'll put a couple of videos up. The test we ran was a piece of highbred poplar, 15" in diameter. I ran the saw with an 18" bar and a brand new stihl super chain. We also ran an 18" bar and chain which was brand new on the 395. Seriously boys and girls, a modded 560xp will not be beated on power to weight for a long long time.

Anyone notice how boggy it was at the start and how peak revs and power developed during the cuts he made.

I have noticed that the ported saws I have take a cut or two to liven them up.

Reckon that this one needed a few cuts to reset the electronics to a hot and ported setting!

Although you are probably right about the autotune part of it, Randy did note in his post(that is originally from another US forum) that he used a lot of varying pressure from cut to cut. He used a LOT of force in the 3rd and 4th cuts yet it kept on chugging along. You can search the web for 'mastermind meets the 562xp' for more info on what he did as far as work.

Here's a 562xp Mitch did wearing a 28" bar:

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by wyk

• 4 weeks later...
As title really, just curious as to any thoughts on the "new generation" saws abilities to have even basic muffler mods?

With all the sealed up carbs, auto tune tune etc is it the beginning of the end for saw modding, or does it mean the modding technology needs to move with the times for us to keep getting "the buzz"?

Yep See new post " tweeked 560 "