Hydro/ camel packs

Adam Bourne

I know a lot of you aussie's and other hot climate countrys use them, as losing body fluid makes you de-hydrate you need to re-hydrate so from a UK perspective just wondering who use's them?

do you find them more of a hindrance or a must?

i recently got one from a friend and was going to try it, but just wondered on peoples views and experience's first?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.....:001_smile:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I use one but not too often TBH. I bought it ages ago, the smallest I could find which is 1.5L and has a tiny zip pocket but no other storage so its not a backpack with hydration it is purely just for hydration.

At first I didnt use it much, but on some days it was invaluable. I found the straps kept dropping off my shoulders due to the movement in climbing, so I have bodged up a chestrap for it to keep it in place and its ok now. I never really take it up a tree but on a hot day I'll have it sent up when I need it, and keep it till its empty.

I do also have other water bottle in my climbing bag, or in the truck so if really thirsty one can be sent up and drank in one go, or clipped to the harness for later, and these do get used more often TBH than the camel back, but on some days sips of water all day long really is essential, especially if you have been out the night before!!

Ultimalty drinking water is good, camel backs dont make water any better for you or the act of drinking any easier. An old evian bottle with a hanging loop gaffa taped to it will do, but if you like kit then camel back are pretty good.

My groundie likes water in a glass bottle, and brings it in a massive vodka or rum bottle, even though its tap water it tastes beter in a glass bottle. Gets some funny looks when driving though!! (i've told him not to when drivng my truck!)

they're brilliant. I need a new one. I was a bit tardy cleaning mine out and it all went a bit pete pong. Shall use nothing but water in my new one

Good point!!!

Never ever put anything other than water in them!!!!

They do new inners now with much easier to open lids.

I've got a camelback thought they weren't worth the money but was given one and it is awesome I would definitely pay for one if I had to buy a new one I use it for jobs when I know I'm gonna be on the ground all day. There is enough space to fit in some food aswell, and it's got cheststraps so doesn't fall off I also found that I didn't even notice it was there. Only one downside the mouth piece does tend to get saw dust stuck to as its wet.