Funky piece of camping gear

WFWales

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Postage is? Love my jetboil but I do like the power output on this!

Shipping to UK $50.00.

Shame they want credit card details to pre-order something that, as far as I can see, hasn't yet been mass produced. There aren't any until July, when the launch date is.

I want to know how the electric generating bit works and can I fit a bigger 1 to my logburner in the house, free heat free lecky.....

Think I might have found something for my xmas present and might have got some working reviews by then.

I want to know how the electric generating bit works and can I fit a bigger 1 to my logburner in the house, free heat free lecky.....

It uses a semiconductor Thermo Electric Genertor. This one probably uses the Peltier effect device as found in those 12V beer cooler fridges, in reverse. These Thermo Electric Coolers are only good for about 400C so interesting to see how it stands abuse. I guess they'll convert about 3% of the heat flux through them. I see these in the skip at the civic amenities site when people fling them after they wake to find their car battery dead.

You can buy similar things that sit on a log burner to run a fan.

Philips promoted a better made one for the third world and launched it in India, like this one it didn't account for the heat diverted from the cooking.

Where there is a need for a clean cook stove there is not the wealth to pay for this, Improved cookstoves are typically sun 1USD made from tincanium and their life is measured in months. Cleanest tend to be top lit updraught devices but there are a number of siple devices promoted, they chifly work by controlling excess air and maintaining temperature in the combustion area for the flame to burn out. This one has no space for a burning flame.

The electronics is interesting as I expect the raw voltage is ~1V and they must step this up to give the 5V usb output.

About 2 billion people depend on biomass cookstoves and they're far behind Mr. Zuckerberg's tribe of 0.9billion.

Not sure if it uses a Peltier device - over the past couple of years there has been a lot of development on other more effective thermoelectric devices. The Biolite uses this device to power a fan to improve combustion, and also to provide the power out, so I'd imagine it's got to be something better.

Not sure if it uses a Peltier device - over the past couple of years there has been a lot of development on other more effective thermoelectric devices. The Biolite uses this device to power a fan to improve combustion, and also to provide the power out, so I'd imagine it's got to be something better.

I don't know but it was the peltier coolers that drove down the cost of the bismuth teluride devices. I know purpose designed TEGs will have a higher conversion than reverse driven TECs, Caterpillar built a 5kW pile running off a large truck engine exhaust.

I've looked back at the discussion when this stove was developed by people visiting Aprovecho, there was a presentation around October 2009. Looking at the website and diagrams it seems the two models are based on different principles, the camping stove is a development of Tom Reeds fan powered TLUD stove which I think is still in production in India, this was itself a developement of the Reed-Larson natural draught device. I did miss one vital point about this and that is it does recuperate heat passing through the TEG. It still lacks the secondary burning/premixing area noramlly associated with TLUD stoves.

The other ( home stove ) is simialrly a modification of the Aprovecho Rocket stove.