Moving a Magnolia & Acer??..

Martin B Doyle

Evening all..

Been asked to move a Magnolia & Acer.. Both aprox 7ft in height, with around 6/8 inch stems..

The customers moving house within the next month and wants to know if she can take these with here due to sentimental value?..

When would you say the best time to do this is..?

7foot magnolia and similar Acer? Is the Acer japanese or standard? You are looking at quite a volume of soil and rootball for either I should think, and a lot of weight to move, the logistics of which are quite considerable. Dormant season would be best if possible.

im not to sure, im viewing the job tomorrow.. thats what i was thinking, alot of weight etc.. if i can get close enough i can use a hiab, however moving them this time of year.. not so good!

ill have to see what access is like first.. il get some pictures and post if i can..

Thanks for your help.

Don't worry, a few years ago I did the same thing when a client moved house and had us move about 50 trees, mostly Jap Maples and there hasn't been a single fatality.

We were under huge time pressure and just hauled the trees out with a digger.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vm0lu4

Just as they resent pruning magnolias resent moving but it seems it can be done but only with a really good soil ball with the roots.

Re timing; now would be the worst time to do it I'd think. I'd go for late September-February, i.e. dormancy as others have said.

First point, if she doesnt move the trees when she moves, she will lose them. At least by moving them she has a chance of retaining them.

Secondly, is her house in a conservation area? If the dimensions given are diameters at breast height (dbh= stem diameter @1500mm above ground level) then it the council will require notification of intent as you wish to wilfully uproot a tree in a conservation area, just a point worth checking with your local District Council Tree Officer.

Edited by Andy Collins
Forgot important detail bit

First point, if she doesnt move the trees when she moves, she will lose them. At least by moving them she has a chance of retaining them.

Good point well made: I'd forgotten about the house move bit.

i moved a maggy once about that size. It didnt like it but recovered - as said winters best. if you have to relocate in summer then it must be watered regularly through out

You should get as big a root ball as you can and REALLY LOOK AFTER THE ROOTS - cover them in something porus eg hessian sacking - keep them moist at all times - I would add plenty of compost or manure to the hole and mulch around the base of the tree when finished

Just finished moving Acer palmatum about eight feet tall, I used Avant loader to lift rootball into 300 litre pot trimmed roots to fit pot reduced crown 10-15% wrapped trunks with wet coffee sacks and kept crown misted with sprayer to reduce desiccation taken from Hastings to West London in a covered trailer with stop to keep damp have not planted yet but has not lost any leaves placed in shaded area in new garden with automatic watering to crown and pot client now has to make up her mind where to plant!