How far have you ran/cycled/swam today?

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me if we've covered this before but do you climb trees for a living or do you operate a desk?

Lee. I'm sure you know the boring truth that cutting alcohol will be the fastest way of losing a stone. Depending on how much you drink (if you do?) a bit of cutting back plus exercise and a stone could go easily in six months or less but the slower you lose it the more chance of keeping it off.

Then bread would be the next worse thing IMO. I simply stopped buying bread at home. Rye bread only, but you can't really make sandwiches with rye bread. So I'll have the odd bit of bread while out but I can't scoff a load at home. Makes me sleepy now if I have it anyway.

Thanks Rupe, I quit alcohol this week and plan on keeping off it for as long as possible, not that I'm much of a drinker these day , I was drinking a bottle every night with my dinner, next step will be bread, the wifes always banging on about carbs, is white rice, pasta and potatoes as bad as bread do you think ?

Thanks Rupe, I quit alcohol this week and plan on keeping off it for as long as possible, not that I'm much of a drinker these day , I was drinking a bottle every night with my dinner, next step will be bread, the wifes always banging on about carbs, is white rice, pasta and potatoes as bad as bread do you think ?

Out of those pasta is the worst i should think as it contains wheat which is a bloater. As an interesting alternative to potato you could try sweet potato. Far less starch/ calories, packed with vitamins and fibre and tasty. Can be roasted. I like to chip them with a little paprika or cayenne over and roasted with a little olive oil. Can't say i look at diet quite the same as Rupe as my diet is very much based on ibs. Rupe is much more of a health and fitness guru.

Good effort with the alcohol. The odd bit won't hurt but if stopping for long periods is the best way for you then that's understandable. It's still my worst habit, and a boozy weekend can lead to a few beers every night and take a whole week sometimes before I get it under control again.

I'm certainly no expert with diets, so don't want to come over as any kind of authority on the subject, but from my experience bread is the worst, mostly because it does nothing good and leads very quickly to more bread. It makes you crave bread, so cutting it out is like stopping drinking, you soon get used to not having it.

Carbs are ok and you must have them. But potatoes and pasta release there carbs quickly so if you hadn't burnt it off during that time then it can get stored as you know what. So slower release stuff is better as you have more chance of using it up. But definitely don't cut out carbs altogether. Maybe potatoes are the worsed but they are easily replaced and brown rice and pasta is possible but cardboard taste nicer!!

Ultimately calories in must be less than calories out. It's as simple as that, but if calories in are such that they don't make you want more before you have fully used them up then that makes life easier.

Rye bread, also called pumpernickle, is clever stuff. I eat tons of dark rye ryvita as well. I lost one and a half stone last year easily, the next half a stone went and came back!! Still working on that one.

Sorry to drop into this one but I thought bread was a good as long as it is wholemeal. I make my own and always understood that wholemeal grain was slow to digest so a slowly released the calories to avoid peaks and troughs through the day. Defiantly no expert in this so could well be wrong.

Agreed!!

Yes, it is tricky. But can be done. Nothing wrong with a couple of sandwiches though, but in my case it's the remaining loaf of bread sat at home which is going to get scoffed when I get in that's a problem.

So not having sandwiches makes you not crave more bread. And not buying it means you can't have green slices of toast etc.

Agreed!!

Yes, it is tricky. But can be done. Nothing wrong with a couple of sandwiches though, but in my case it's the remaining loaf of bread sat at home which is going to get scoffed when I get in that's a problem.

So not having sandwiches makes you not crave more bread. And not buying it means you can't have green slices of toast etc.

Not sure what green means? Think I typed ten!!!