Flue Cube - any thoughts or experiences of this??

WFWales

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Building regs part J paragraph 2.8 says

"2.8 Flues should be high enough to ensure sufficient draught to clear the products of combustion. The height necessary for this will depend upon the type of the appliance, the height of the building, the type of flue and the number of bends in it, and an assessment of local wind patterns. However, a minimum flue height of 4.5m could be satisfactory if the guidance in Paragraphs 2.10 to 2.12 is adopted. As an alternative approach, the calculation procedure within BS EN 13384-1:2005 can be

used as the basis for deciding whether a chimney design will provide sufficient draught."

It doesn't categorically say 4.5M is the minimum height, but you'ld need to present good evidence of adequate draught to a building inspector to get a much shorter flue accepted.

I was in a village delivering wood today, a neighbour was "coaling up" It was like being at a traction engine rally! That chimney was probably at 8m.

So its relative really my little un works fine. I did have a taller one previously but it was worse for not drifting upwards.

Edited by Goaty
spelling

• 3 months later...

I have noticed a certain amount of skepticism by those contributors who have views on the Flue Cube... Not that I can blame you its difficult not to be skeptical these days. Anyone whose bought a car claiming to 70 miles to the gallon, face cream that will make you look ten year younger (probably not you reader) or a beef ready meal, etc, whose not skeptical?

At Flue Cube we are trying to be transparent with our claims so here is an update.

We've recently had the Flue Cube tested at the Colorado State University at the Engines and Energy Conversions Lab. It dose not create a secondary burn it would have to reach 500C to achieve this (not good idea). It's effective because it, improves thermal efficiency and draft. It also decreases PM.

Hundreds of people have now purchased Flue Cube's and had them installed and yes the Flue Cube achieves what we claim it achieves; but what we cannot guarantee it to what degree it will improve your stove or fire. This is because Stoves, Flues, Chimneys, Fuel and atmospheric pressure. All create variables and everyone is different. What I can tell you is to date we have not had a dissatisfied customer as it has made a positive contribution to their wood burning.

As for cost - its made in the UK out of quality Stainless Steel there are no moving parts its all in the design and should last 10 - 20 years. It will prove great value in the medium term compared with a cheap Chinese made cowl.

The Flue Cube is not so effective when burning wet wood as some f----- has just delivered me load when guaranteeing it would be dry .... I should have been skeptical...

The Flue Cube is not so effective when burning wet wood as some f----- has just delivered me load when guaranteeing it would be dry .... I should have been skeptical...

I come across it all the while, usually bought on price, thats why I got into firewood to support my stove business.

I have been experimenting with my Morso this winter burning wood (poplar) up to about 35%, get a good fire going, use a lot of primary air as you would burning coal, then refuel little and often.

A

I acknowledge the confusion - my fault and it is being changed on the web site.:blushing:

Straight talking honesty, well done for holding hands up.:thumbup1:

Very happy with mine, Ive had to burn wetter wood than I wanted this season. The fluecube seems to get the exhaust up and away better. Last year our smoke drifted down and swirled around alot. So no worries about he neighbours. Plus I reckon you do get a better burn and airflow. Hard to prove without taking on and off and doing it in different weather conditions. I'd like to know more experiences, after all a collective effort will bring about better product development and usage.

Thanks Goaty good to hear its working well for you..

I do ask customers how its worked for them? Recommendation, testimonials and word and mouth is the most effective sales tool I have. So I do post their feedback on the testimonial page of the website. Whats is pleasing is sweeps and installers are making repeat purchases because they have happy customers. They depend on there local reputation so I know we are doing a good job for them:biggrin: