MS 660 Back to the factory, chain brake handle getting hot!

Jonny Burch

I know this sounds a bit bias but I never heard or seen it on a Husky, ringed plenty of big stuff with a big Husky and saws are always fine. Must admit that was a few years ago when there was more metal than plastic used in saw construction. god that makes me old!!

It sounds a Stihl problem, I tried both and always go towards the red ones with H on :-)

hard habits and all that...........

Hope the problem is sorted and that break is never needed !

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I had to do was fart on my 3120 chain brake and it snapped off... So I'm not too convinced that it's just a stihl problem... 395 has never broken though....

Remind me to never get in the way of one of your farts Matty ! :thumbdown:

Reading this has made me think, when using a big bar for a bit it gets hard to put the chain brake on. Had it with a 25 and 36 bar. But my saw is out of warranty now anyway. Let it cool a bit and no issue. Does the plastic just get a bit warm and stop it letting you activate it? Bit unsure on this

RE 660 hot handle.

Ah ha Just spoke to Stihl UK and guess what they had never heard of this problem.

However they said that they would investigate the problem if the saw is returned via any Stihl dealer with proof of purchase, they will return the saw and here I quote "hopefully like a new saw" with a report and finding on the problems. They asked what I thought the problem was? Doh I'm just a designer and Lumberjack what would I know, this was the technical department getting technical.

So my new Alaskan mill will just have to wait for a saw. Not happy!

Oh I thought Stihl was pronounced as it looks apparently not its Sccccilll hey ho I'm stupid though. So I have a Scccill M(u)S(hy)660 :thumbup1:

HI TREE JUST ask stihl uk for a new saw as yours is no good at all too use let them no your not happy email them and your going too use husky now on all the best jon :thumbup:

Hi Rob

When the saws cold the brake works as it should and you get a loud "click" when putting brake on or off.

After a few minutes use( for me either a 20" bar or 36") if you were to try and put the brake on as normal nothing happens. It feels like the handle is made of jelly and is really soft. Almost feels like it might snap off!

Flippin pesky saw!! Haha

Hi Rob

When the saws cold the brake works as it should and you get a loud "click" when putting brake on or off.

After a few minutes use( for me either a 20" bar or 36") if you were to try and put the brake on as normal nothing happens. It feels like the handle is made of jelly and is really soft. Almost feels like it might snap off!

Flippin pesky saw!! Haha

Cheers. That explains what's been happening pretty well. A good smack on the handle usually puts it on. I have the dual port muffler on it and it hasn't made a huge difference due to it still having a side port in the same place.

You're right about giving it a good smack!

It's just annoying when you go to roll your wrist forward to put it on and nothing happens!

Yeah it is! Especially on a shorter bar where it has more of a habit of spinning chains at idle, even when set right mine will jump the chain along a little bit at idle. Just got to be aware of it!