MS 660 Back to the factory, chain brake handle getting hot!

Jonny Burch

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just caught up with this thread, Mattys farts worry me as he is a mile down the road :thumbdown:

Stubbys suggestion of modifying the muffler seems like a very possible solution that will resolve the issue.

My addition is that perhaps when cutting large wood, perhaps hot exhaust gasses are being blown back from the timber on to the front of the saw - could this be the root cause?

The comments from Stihl make me chuckle, having worked for a German firm for 30 years, know just how it goes:001_rolleyes:

If Stihl can't fix it Steve d'you fancy a crack at it??

P.s Let me know when you can have a play with the 242

Cheers

I would be interested in a bit of investigation on the problem, sounds like too much heat is being retained around the muffler and is being absorbed by the handle.

Possible solutions are redirecting the exhaust gasses, placing a heat shield between the muffler and handle or having a heat shield on the handle or changing the material/design of the handle.

I will need to look in to the 242 and get back to you.:thumbup:

Just caught up with this thread, Mattys farts worry me as he is a mile down the road :thumbdown:

Stubbys suggestion of modifying the muffler seems like a very possible solution that will resolve the issue.

My addition is that perhaps when cutting large wood, perhaps hot exhaust gasses are being blown back from the timber on to the front of the saw - could this be the root cause?

The comments from Stihl make me chuckle, having worked for a German firm for 30 years, know just how it goes:001_rolleyes:

HI SPUD we get that mate when cutting a large butt no need for heated handle as the exhaust gasses come back on too you :thumbup1:jon :thumbup:

It's not only on the big stuff It's even when I've been using it with a small bar and my Log-Loc.

it sounds just as you say exhaust not having a clear flow away sort of thing BUT and think before you modify anything.

These are professional tools and have been designed to work, not a DIY saw to cut the odd branch & be put away, they are made to work or so we are lead to believe. If this was a car it would HAVE to be recalled and I do think it is a big safety issue.

The so called powers that be make sure saws have breaks, try woking with an old saw pre break and you would be prosecuted if something went wrong.

Why do we british just put up with sub standard workmanship?

I would go for the jugular and get in touch with Stihl direct, your dealer will have you back & fore all summer trying to sort it, a new saw that is fit for the job is what you should be getting, after all thats what you paid for.

Bit of a rant but the big guys are fast enough telling us how good they are and taking the money.

• 3 weeks later...

had same problem on my ms660, last year, brake handle failed, when it melted adjacent to the mounting point by the exhaust cover. had similar problem more recently with brake handle overheating when exhaust cover came loose during milling, had to araldite the exhaust studs in as loctite not enough, also the chain oiler casing burning if there is any oil roaming around whilst milling. seems like the saw could do with a modification to the exhaust cover to redirect the hot gases away for milling, doesn't seem to happen cross cutting as the saw never gets run for extended periods without a break, and so doesn't overheat. maybe the answer is to not run it for too long without a break.

• 1 month later...

Finally!!! Got the Saw back from Stihl. All they said was that there was some fine dust in it causing problems. Both myself and my dealer had the saw cleaned and there's no way that was the fault IMO. Would it be wrong to think that there might be something more serious wrong and that Stihl are just replacing these parts and not telling the truth?

Jonny:001_smile: