People wanting stuff on the cheap and keeping the peace.... ??

swinny

Why do people always want stuff done on the cheap? but when you deal with them they want top wack?

Why do ignorant people always slag off softwood?

Why do gardeners take on treework then call you in, and think the tree surgeon is on a good do for the day? not realising how much equiptment/experiance/work and insurance goes into the job....

Someone i rent land off wants a tree removing and logging up.... he's going to come with me as "i want all the logs cutting at 90 degree's" so they can be split and not slide away. Offer a splitting service but wants doing for a months rent...... this is a 350-400 quid job though ....

Why do people not like others making money?

Profits not a dirty word is it! an why just earn a wage

When/what time do you just say NO! im no pushover :angryfire:

Or do you keep the peace... i'd rather say NO

Sorry for the rant, any advice for the above? it may also help others in same/simialr predicament.

Edited by swinny

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Age old story, and seems to be the same everywhere you go. Had a bloke today ask us to take down a line of trees for a cup of tea and a sandwich for the lads. "As you're here..." Thought he was joking at first, right by a busy road, 10 or so medium size sycamores, a few of which were leaning out onto the road. He wasn't joking, as he reckoned it would only take a couple of hours. He had a '12 reg M5 in the drive and a sporty looking toy car in the garage.

I've learned to see them coming, I can tell the ones who are happy to pay for a job well done on the phone, and the one's who think you should do the job just for the privilege of working for them. The former get a fair price, the latter get the mick taken, just to cover all the "could you just"'s before the start with them.

And it's always the little old dear that dosen't mind paying however much, pays yu with out fail, and gives you tea all day and the odd sarnie, but the flashy people this **** loads of money that mess around with money and your lucky to get a teat outta them...

The beauty of working for yourself or owning your own company is the ability to say NO. I will admit it can take some practice and with enough time one can become pretty good at it just like most any other Two year old!. Some folks want you to feel guilty in the process, don't fall for that trick either. Your in business for yourself and you call the shots.

You in time will be able to smell out these dip sticks a mile away or even as close as a phone call in some cases. Just move on and try not to take it personel, they want to get under your skin since it is a control thing for them and their kind.

easy-lift guy

Swinny, it's often down to a lack of understanding methinks. Get people to see it from your point of view and most will then understand. If they're still giving you grief then either ignore it and carry on, or just walk away.

I was a pushover in too many ways until 11.30am on 29 August 2011. Things changed for me over the following few days, now if anyone takes the pee, that's it, I'm done with them.

The beauty of working for yourself or owning your own company is the ability to say NO. I will admit it can take some practice and with enough time one can become pretty good at it just like most any other Two year old!. Some folks want you to feel guilty in the process, don't fall for that trick either. Your in business for yourself and you call the shots.

You in time will be able to smell out these dip sticks a mile away or even as close as a phone call in some cases. Just move on and try not to take it personel, they want to get under your skin since it is a control thing for them and their kind.

easy-lift guy

So true , :)

If you are happy with your quoting formula, whatever that might be, stick to it. Do this regardless and if someone wants a 'cheap', 'while your here', 'as you've got your saw out' job, remember your worth! Yeah, go the extra mile when you want, maybe for the 'little old lady' or the ones that made you the bacon sarnie, but don't get sucked in on some crazy convenience tip. Give you're price and tell them to get some more quotes. They'll soon realise what a reasonable price is!!

Now I'm ranting too!!

My best customer has quite a few (very expensive) cars, owns more acres than you'd care to walk around in a day, runs a company with over 80 artics on the road and lives in a house you could loose an elephant in for a week without finding it.

Whenever he wants a job doing he'll haggle over the quote I do for him. But..

Whenever I do a large/longer term job he'll be out several times to see how we're doing and he's never left without asking about my finances and offering to pay me an advance "I don't want to have you out of pocket"

When a job's finished the money will be in my account on the Tuesday after I email him his invoice, without fail.

I have another large customer with similar fortunate circumstances, also haggles like a Turkish market-salesman but does it when I hand him my invoice, then I have to send him a few reminders after which he will eventually pay up in full. I add a little for the extra hassle...

But even with that little extra I'd rather work for the "easy payer" for 5% less as its just so much nicer to work and feel appreciated, and know that that appreciation will be expressed in full as soon as you're done.