Mindless tree vandalism

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the management plan for this tree in terms of re-establishing the pollard and will the plan now change? That is assuming it is on your patch, but an interesting question anyway. Will the damage from the fire have reduced the energy available to the tree to respond to re pollarding or reduction?

Can you tell us what the physiological consequences of fire damage are likely to be? There is the obvious damage to bark and cambium and breach of barrier zones but is there anything else? Is there a loss of stored energy reserves? I guess there must be??

It's not one of our trees, it's in suffolk.

I'm not privy to the management plan for this specific tree, although I have noted that the local friends group/managers of this site, have begun a programme of haloing & new pollard creation.

There doesn't appear to have been a lot of restoration of the pollards (one or two perhaps)

As I mentioned at the top of the thread, this tree will probably be OK (its coming into leaf), its really only the heartwood skin of the cavity that has had the bulk of the damage/charring. There will be some areas of vascular damage around where the hollow channels leading up from the central chamber connect to the exit holes higher in the branch canopy (last shot of first post)

The real issue here is the total destruction of the micro/macro flora & fauna that was within the heartwood volumes that have been affected.

The site seems to be only designated as an LNR but does have an exclusive lichen discovered here & Rackham notes it as "remarkable, even on a world scale"

Sadly,a fair few of these 200+ pollards that have been set alight at some point in their existance (mostly within the last 40 years I'd say).

Kids eh !

IMG_9054.jpg.f91dae66b94529585cb903f9cb102bc1.jpg

IMG_9057.JPG.1c3dd9c6d5bc5e9f66f1e38d9b21213e.JPG

IMG_9059.jpg.aed138063a92f9cc0e139f344db410f7.jpg

IMG_9084.JPG.dc126584401fd55d394c651811365346.JPG

IMG_9083.JPG.5a6fd8938b3e5d1a508c1d26b564b7d6.JPG

On a similar thread of thought, I have recently been told about the practice of burning wooden posts before installing them in the ground, as a barrier against decay. Interesting idea, has anyone come across this before? I imagine this removes or degrades the compounds in the cell walls that decay fungi feast on.

Anyone got any info. on that?

Whilst it's true char is recalcitrant and resists rotting, and that's why it is a good candidate for reverting atmospheric CO2, it is also porous and shrinks tangentially and radially by over 10%, depending on heat and species, this means fresh wood is exposed to microbes via cracks.

Whilst it's true char is recalcitrant and resists rotting, and that's why it is a good candidate for reverting atmospheric CO2, it is also porous and shrinks tangentially and radially by over 10%, depending on heat and species, this means fresh wood is exposed to microbes via cracks.

Perhaps not as effective as treating softwood then.

If you are using untreated hardwood (oak or sweetchestnut) then it wood provide protection above the natural resistance of the timber.

Something I came across yesterday that annoyed me quite a bit,not quite the same but deliberate vandalism just the same. A fencing contractor recently put up a stretch of stock fence for our neighbour, just so they could keep the fence in a nice straight line they cut off buttresses from several ash trees. One of them is a lovely specimen with a trunk of 6' DBH :thumbdown: