100ft poplar pollard

testcricket01

I think you did a good job, just sounds like the planning got the better of you. I know what its like to be a new business and want to prove to yourself and your client base you can do the job, but in the end I'm a slave to money not to clients. A word of advice would be to book the highway space first before you book the date with the client and get the crane.

I was hoping you weren't just cutting below the old cuts to make the job easier. I would have walked away if the job meant making those cuts. That tree will stand as an advert for your work and could cost you more in lost work than you learnt that day. If you have a report to work to and your not comfortable with the spec then its worth calling the consultant. From what I could see, I can't see the advantage in cutting the reaction wood out.

But like I said good job. I doubt there's many other lads your age running their own show and taking on awkward jobs like that. I wasn't at your age.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the job spec, and all the hiccups, fussy client, etc...

Fair play for getting on with a crap job on a horrible slimy day and making the best of the situation.

You didn't break anything and went home safely.

When you are faced with a bad situation in future, you'll look back and think 'well its not as bad as that poplar we did' :laugh1:, you'll calmly work out what to do for best and take it in you stride.

Everybody who has been in the trade any length of time will have had days like that.

Thanks for posting. :thumbup1:

James, firstly well done for sticking at it, and saving face. It's not easy to make your Mark in this business is it? Everybody's out there doing the easy trees, few take on the tougher jobs, like this one. The reason, because they can't see how to make the money. It's one thing cutting trees, and being good at it, it's a whole different ball game running a business, day in day out, and being successful. I would ask myself why 5 other companies walked away from it, its only a tree, but maybe they didn't like the clients attitude, maybe the client is known as a poor payer, maybe they know something you don't.

I think I would have opted for the rigging option over the crane on this, removing one of the factors that would work against you, and did. easy in hindsight though eh?

Thanks for posting anyway, many would not post when things don't go quite right for fear of looking less than professional in front of their peers, but as you say you and others can learn from this. :thumbup1:

Cheers guys thats exactly what i feel like gibbon prove my self that i can do what ever is put infront of me not always a good thing i no. We did try and book traffic slot first. mistake i made was listening to client wanting it done quickly (which i never do) and guys i use one is on holiday next week the other the week After. So everything was rushed and was stubid on my part really. Thats the downfall of it if traffic were there we would have easily done it yesterday.

I reackon it will be a definete laughing point in future lets hope i dnt get asked back in few years to re pollard it lol

Cheers andy yer if i could do it over again i still dont think id go down the rig option i was much more comfortable with the crane on that tree my preference i just hate pops rigging them.

James, firstly well done for sticking at it, and saving face. It's not easy to make your Mark in this business is it? Everybody's out there doing the easy trees, few take on the tougher jobs, like this one. The reason, because they can't see how to make the money. It's one thing cutting trees, and being good at it, it's a whole different ball game running a business, day in day out, and being successful. I would ask myself why 5 other companies walked away from it, its only a tree, but maybe they didn't like the clients attitude, maybe the client is known as a poor payer, maybe they know something you don't.

I think I would have opted for the rigging option over the crane on this, removing one of the factors that would work against you, and did. easy in hindsight though eh?

Thanks for posting anyway, many would not post when things don't go quite right for fear of looking less than professional in front of their peers, but as you say you and others can learn from this. :thumbup1:

great comment! :thumbup1:

The council must have got 3 quotes im still waiting on one where they've got 2 but havent secured a 3rd in writing!! Didnt like the look of you fingers in the cut at the start james. Video mad it look smaller i measured it on the screen and it was 7cm tall.............. Hope the elbow is feeling better now.

The council must have got 3 quotes im still waiting on one where they've got 2 but havent secured a 3rd in writing!! Didnt like the look of you fingers in the cut at the start james. Video mad it look smaller i measured it on the screen and it was 7cm tall.............. Hope the elbow is feeling better now.

This was private tree not council ian im surprised no tpo on it either i wish it was 7cm tall lol yer elbows alright on the mend just cant lift heavy rings etc with it yet been over a month since i done it aswell i was more than happy for the crane to move me round the tree lol