Vermeer BC 1000 XL review

Jee every one bags Vermeer

My oldest chipper is a 1250t .will chuck chip 50 metres with humungus force if you let it ,not so good at chipping Palms though.I thought it was fantastic when we got that.Now its just the emergency chipper

My newest (not so new anymore)chipper is a 1800xl. Sure you could consider the bottom safety bar a pain in the ass.But i would rather have than not have it.

As to chipping.its a weapon.we shove whole Coconut palms in there heads and all.Twenty metre long African Mahogany limbs ,big bundles of hand stacked branches . all loader fed.Have put many thousands of cube though it

Its rated at 19'' but can do nearly 24'' in a soft wood

180 hp and more fuel efficient then the 1250 T

Have had a few problems have done a clutch recently where the clutch disc had the centre torn out of it.Must have been a common issue as the replacement disc was considerable thicker

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jee every one bags Vermeer

My oldest chipper is a 1250t .will chuck chip 50 metres with humungus force if you let it ,not so good at chipping Palms though.I thought it was fantastic when we got that.Now its just the emergency chipper

My newest (not so new anymore)chipper is a 1800xl. Sure you could consider the bottom safety bar a pain in the ass.But i would rather have than not have it.

As to chipping.its a weapon.we shove whole Coconut palms in there heads and all.Twenty metre long African Mahogany limbs ,big bundles of hand stacked branches . all loader fed.Have put many thousands of cube though it

Its rated at 19'' but can do nearly 24'' in a soft wood

180 hp and more fuel efficient then the 1250 T

Have had a few problems have done a clutch recently where the clutch disc had the centre torn out of it.Must have been a common issue as the replacement disc was considerable thicker

Got any pics of that, in my Ozzie days I recall frequently de clogging chippers from Palm

Dont have any pics. You will block the chute if you dont have the feed wheels set right

It took a while to work that out.

Small palms chip best if the go in as a group rather than individually same for fronds

Any dead palms and fronds tend to get dusted rather than chipped

The 1800xl isnt the hardest thrower of chips so you have to rely on momentum instead. Nearly my only gripe

Really big logs need a slow feed in speed

Tops and brash a medium speed

and any sort of palm i run the feed wheels flat out.

You cant chip any sopping wet palms as the chute will get blocked pretty quickly

The 1250 has no trouble chipping Palm wood but doesnt like fronds much

I appreciate it's different in Australia but I reckon that a UK arb only chippest a palm once in a blue moon.

We did once, about 10 years ago wrapped around the flywheel and caused over a grands damage as I recall.. Never again...

We have a Vermeer 230xl, which is a bit smaller then the 1000xl. We have had it a couple of years now. It's been good, although it has just started leaking hydraulic fluid..

I appreciate it's different in Australia but I reckon that a UK arb only chippest a palm once in a blue moon.

we dont do palms all the time either.I was replying to Roseywebs question.

I would rather chip normal wood as Palms will take the edge off the blades pretty promptly however it makes no difference to its chipping ability as long as you are chipping Palms