The power of chipper power!

Old Mill Tree Care

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the fly wheel is not directly driven by the PTO it could be geared up by pulleys or a gearbox to turn faster than the PTO.

Ah, got you. The Mog shaft goes onto a pulley and the pulley is on the chipper shaft. When Redwood put the chipper on my Mog they tested the disc speed and told me to set the Mog at 1400rpm. So that's what I've always done.

Arbrep Services have done all the work on my chipper over the last few years and it has been re-checked.

I'm a bit bemused as to how you all seem to be doing the same as each other and I'm doing some thing completely different :confused1:

Most PTO driven machinery is designed to run with an input speed (ie pto speed from tractor or mog) of either 540rpm or 1000rpm. If you have a powerful enough tractor/mog it is possible to run an implement (ie chipper) requiring 540rpm input from a 1000rpm pto output, but you obviously need to run the pto at approx. half speed, which in turn requires half engine revs from the driving machine. You need to find out at what engine speed your mog delivers 540 or 1000 rpm at the shaft and whether your chipper requires 540 or 1000 rpm input to work out how many revs to give it. If you do run the chipper at 540 rpm off the 1000 shaft at half(ish) speed (which it sounds like you are) then you should expect a lack of torque and the subsequent reliance on your stress control. Give it a try on your 540 output at correct revs and see if the performance improves (it should!).

Most PTO driven machinery is designed to run with an input speed (ie pto speed from tractor or mog) of either 540rpm or 1000rpm. If you have a powerful enough tractor/mog it is possible to run an implement (ie chipper) requiring 540rpm input from a 1000rpm pto output, but you obviously need to run the pto at approx. half speed, which in turn requires half engine revs from the driving machine. You need to find out at what engine speed your mog delivers 540 or 1000 rpm at the shaft and whether your chipper requires 540 or 1000 rpm input to work out how many revs to give it. If you do run the chipper at 540 rpm off the 1000 shaft at half(ish) speed (which it sounds like you are) then you should expect a lack of torque and the subsequent reliance on your stress control. Give it a try on your 540 output at correct revs and see if the performance improves (it should!).

How do I know what the correct revs are though? :confused1:

How do I know what the correct revs are though? :confused1:

I know nothing about mogs but is there not something in the cab indicating what revs for what pto speeds? This is common on a lot of tractors. If not, either google or someone on here will undoubtedly let you know. Does it not say in the operators manual that should be on site with the machine at all times.........

we run and always have at 540 around 1800

thoughts???

Think is a A340 with lovely touch buttons rather than the Bar

will take a pic as buttons are lovely

I've been giving this more thought and it seems that the pulley on the chipper is the reason I set 1400rpm in the cab.

I could put the PTO in 540 and run the Mog at higher rpm and although it would give me more torque at the shaft it would use more fuel.

Having the nsd set as sensitively as it is keeps the load off the Mog.

Set as it is with the nsd kicking in a lot probably gets me home about five minutes later anyway.

If I put the PTO in 540, I wouldn't know how much revs to use. According to Arbrep, the Jensen bearings don't tolerate being run too fast.

Any more thoughts on this anyone??

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?x25vyf

Can you slow the rollers???

They look to be going pretty fast, if they went a little slower, the no stress may cut in less and actually speed up the chipping.

That's a very good point Huck and I thought of it yesterday then forgot to try it today when chipping Oak. Thanks for the pointer.

I'll try to remember tomorrow.