"Health and Safety Issue" idiots!

Jon Hartley

We removed some young Weeping Figs at a Government owned housing association style property a few weeks ago.

We were asked to remove the tree, grind the stump and surface roots. Figs have a load of shallow and surface roots which can cause quite a lot of structural damage.

We did as we were asked but as you can imagine, grinding a whole area instead of just the stump produces a fair amount of spoil and this is quite woody due to amount of root involved. This is generally raked level so there are no holes or significant lumps and bumps "trip Hazards" and left for which ever contractor does the landscaping or to break down naturally.

Basically we removed the tree, ground the stump and surface roots.

I got a call from a house inspector yesterday to tell me we had to revisit the site, rake up ALL the spoil and take it away. I explained that if we raked the top "woody bits" off there would be more underneath to a depth of 150mm ie to the depth of the grind and if he was concerned the area should be re-landscaped by an appropriate contractor.

Long story short...The MD got a call from the head of procurement in the government department and I was told in no uncertain terms to get a crew back there tomorrow!

Why has this gone so far I hear you ask?

Because of "a Health and Safety issue". The tenant has made a formal complaint because the spoil is "a potential choke hazard for the kids"!!!!!

Why are your kids eating wood?

When are the public going to realise that there is no such thing as risk free and assume some level of responsibility for themselves?!

Edited by Jon Hartley

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you do then- go on - let us know

Did you say go swivvel or

did you go back all humble and remove every last bit of wood- then get another call saying the tennant has complained that there is a dip in his garden filling up with water that is a safety issue.

Then you went back with 2 tones topsoil and spread

Tennant complained that it wasn't green

back you go and turf

tennant complains it has gone all yellow and how could they water it as there is a hosepipe ban and the corners are kicking up presenting an H&S issue.

Reminds me of the song ' theres a hole in my bucket'

Don't you just love it

It continues to amaze me how parents will use their kids as excuses for anything. Really does sound like extra free work is what the complaint is actually leading up to. Common sence and responsibility for ones self, why bother?, as long as the takers can call someone up o get their way nothing else really matters.

easy-lift guy

What did you do then- go on - let us know

Did you say go swivvel or

did you go back all humble and remove every last bit of wood- then get another call saying the tennant has complained that there is a dip in his garden filling up with water that is a safety issue.

Then you went back with 2 tones topsoil and spread

Tennant complained that it wasn't green

back you go and turf

tennant complains it has gone all yellow and how could they water it as there is a hosepipe ban and the corners are kicking up presenting an H&S issue.

Reminds me of the song ' theres a hole in my bucket'

Don't you just love it

We went bent over and took our medicine!

2tonne of topsoil and seeded the garden!!!

The customer is always right