Snatching timber down and it hits flying capstan

aiden

As has been said above - what /who are you doing the course with? Why are you using your own kit, has it been Loler'ed, did Instructor check and/or check kit? So many questions.

Answer - as Mark said:

Take yours to the Instructor/Company and insist that the responsibility is theirs and you want it replaced or a significant contribution towards a new one!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wot they doing teaching snatching before safe shock absorbing lowering methods?

what they doing using the students kit? was it lolered?

what they doing setting students up to think kit damage is part of the normal routine? was it lolered after?

poor, epic way

Totally agree,

i don't want to name any names not the why i started the thread, all i wanted to know is is it normal to be told was ok to hit capstan. Thanks for all the reply s i now know it wasnt right. I got off to bad start with the instructor by climbing on a spiderjack and using cambium savers was told for first two days" i dont like your climbing" yesterday i asked why and is cos of spiderjack . Instructor says they aint good climbing and using two crabs on spiderjack is cross loading crabs. He just dont like me i think so as said before i going to take more care of my equipment today

i don't want to name any names not the why i started the thread, all i wanted to know is is it normal to be told was ok to hit capstan. Thanks for all the reply s i now know it wasnt right. I got off to bad start with the instructor by climbing on a spiderjack and using cambium savers was told for first two days" i dont like your climbing" yesterday i asked why and is cos of spiderjack . Instructor says they aint good climbing and using two crabs on spiderjack is cross loading crabs. He just dont like me i think so as said before i going to take more care of my equipment today

he isnt up to date with modern kit, change trainer!:sneaky2:

Well whats done is done, looking forward the bent capstan is a pretty easy fix, but, when this lump of timber hit the capstan and bent the guide that the rope pases through, what happend to the rope?

It's quite easy to muller a rope with a lump of timber. A carefully inspection would be the least I would expect.

Once again, we are only hearing one side of the story. The devil is in the detail here. I find it hard to believe that any instructor would suggest it was ok to intentionally hit any part of a rigging system, or any other tool in fact. But if asked if it could withstand a glancing blow, he may have said it should be ok? As it was your equipment, I take it you took it on the course so you could learn to use it properly, or were you a little cocky and thought, "I'll show them how good I am" Believe me there are a lot if people out there who don't like to listen and pay attention and that is why injuries happen and tools get broken.

It seems, from Aidens posting, that there was a little friction between himself and the instructor. You know what, as a father of 2 lads now in their 20s, and working with many youngsters since, I run out of patience trying to explain the why's and wherefores of things, some days you just bang your head against a wall. I wonder if the instructor felt he was having one of those days?

Sorry Aiden if I've got it all wrong, but just trying to get some balance from this.

Could you please PM me his/her name so I can make a decision and possibly avoid them in the future?

Also if you haven't paid for your training yet you may want to walk and call your two free days of training compensation for the damaged bollard.

Thanks

Jonathan