Tracked chipper for railway work

tractor10_0

No tractor is not independent Arborcut just sell the trade in machines. Arborcut are Jensen main dealers also called Redwood in Bordon Hampshire

Is Redwood the chipper division of Wessex? just that Jensens now have Redwood stickers these days. Spoke to them a few times - south african bloke, very helpful, can call them pretty much anytime and they'll guide you through a maintenance issue.

IM 99% sure about this Redwood in Bordon Hampshire are the main importer for jensen in the uk. They have a dealer network around the uk who sell them for them. If you buy a jensen in the south you go direct to redwoood in bordon.

Arborcut are a sister company share the same building workshop everything. Redwood will offer you a trade in services then do the machine up and sell it thought Arborcut.

I know this as i live 10 min up the road and have been to the factory and had a look at the machines. Arborcut do a very good job on the machines they come out looking like new. I just wish dealers would not hide.

I'd go for a Greenmech, I had loads and loads of problems with them in the past (older models) and didn't really rate them as a chipper at all. I now run three jensens and a Schliesling.

Our tracked 9" Jensen will not go up a railway cess or anywhere for that matter that doesn't have flat ish ground with no obstructions.

I've hired in Greenmechs for rail work, leaving our Jensens in the shed becasue of that reason.

I still don't think greenmechs are as well built as the the others but they are a lot better than they were and are the best for rail work.

Like Ed says, if the job justify's it get a big chipper in and forward the material to it if needs be because more often than not its large mature hawthorn on a steep embankment and no greenmech or jensen likes them.

The best method is to remove the skip from a swivel skip site dumper then fix a chipper (removed from its trailer chassis) to the swivel mechanism, you then have 180deg of movement for positioning the feed chute & no logistical problems getting from ware you can access tracks to the job site & you can spend more time doing the job rather than “tracking” a slow chipper miles given the time constraints of track-works & penalties for late opening. (remembering to reverse the front axel tyres to assist with climbing out over rails)

Tracked dumpers also work quite well given they are as fast forward as in reverse, but as with anything tracked running in or over rail lines you need to carry rail ramps as tracks won’t climb out between the rails etc to well.

The best method is to remove the skip from a swivel skip site dumper then fix a chipper (removed from its trailer chassis) to the swivel mechanism, you then have 180deg of movement for positioning the feed chute & no logistical problems getting from ware you can access tracks to the job site & you can spend more time doing the job rather than “tracking” a slow chipper miles given the time constraints of track-works & penalties for late opening. (remembering to reverse the front axel tyres to assist with climbing out over rails)

Tracked dumpers also work quite well given they are as fast forward as in reverse, but as with anything tracked running in or over rail lines you need to carry rail ramps as tracks won’t climb out between the rails etc to well.

Having worked with turntable dumpers with chippers fitted IMO the chipper is mounted too high from the ground for safe and easy operation, couple that with the extra 9" when you are on track and it can make them more of a hinderence than a help.

I conform to the access issue as getting in and out of site with a tracked chipper takes excessive time but put this against the cost and limitations of arranging T3s and blockades the track chipper option working green zone is the way to go where the ground conditions and access allows.