Ms261 carb help please.

jamesfwpurdy

Yeah ok take the mick I bought one (when the reviews were great, after my years warantee was up they turned sour).

Ive had a few problems starting/idling and its sounded a bit ropey. Ive tried adjusting the idle screw which seemed to.stop it but it sounds like its over revving. Someone suggested i clean the carb (I use aspens if that matters) but i cant get the nuts out of the baffle to get to it. All my sockets are too fat to fit in the plastic case.

Any help with this or other suggestions for the saws problems would be great.

Im on a coppice efficiency (esus forestry) with a group of husky fanboys/girl taking the piss. Should have gone all orange!!!!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I am having the same problem with my 261. It's just coming up to a year old. Stihl paid for it to have a new carb in January and it still won't run/idle. I have given up and will be ringing Stihl tomorrow. I spent the day thinning with my 15 year old ms017 today. The 261 sounds like it is constantly running out of fuel so I am worried it is running lean.

I will be very interested in the replys to this tread.

With faults like this, I always pressure, compression and vac check the engine to make sure I am starting with an engine that is OK, too often a leaking decomp or split impulse line/carb boot can be the problem area.

If this is OK, I put the carb in the ultrasonic cleaner and then reset it and tach the saw.

This sorts out the vast majority of problems.

If you are using Aspen then you really should not have a carb that needs cleaning. It may need other attention because of wear or air ingress.

It does sound from what you say that the saw is running a little weak, so a tune up is in order. Its not going to hurt to richen up the H screw just a fraction ( as long as the limiter cap allows it)

This should lower the revs and restore a little power.

It may be best to entrust a tune to a skilled techie with a tach, rather than mess around yourself if you are'nt totally sure what you are doing.

On a year old saw there really should not be an issue with crankcase sealing, but it is just possible. I would try tuning first, but be aware that if any significant tuning is required it will only be compensating for another problem which will need fixing, such as a leaking hose or impulse tube.

Im on a coppice efficiency (esus forestry) with a group of husky fanboys/girl taking the piss. Should have gone all orange!!!!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Orange and silver . Its the only way . Simples !