Advice...

Tom10

Dear All,

I currently run a Ford Ranger with greedy boards and a light trailer when needed. I am thinking of chopping the ranger in for a truck (transit etc) (maybe caged) as you seem to be able to get them at reasonable price - this means I could release some equity from the ranger and put towards a chipper which I currently hire when needed from a colleague.

(Before asked the reason I cant run a bigger trailer is I am restricted to 750KG as I have a post 97 license or whatever the year was......)

Downside of doing this is obviously my Ranger has multiple uses i.e. I can clean it and its a family car again, off road etc

Upside is I can release some money from it, the mrs has a car anyway, and I can get rid of the monkey trailer and run a vehicle to do everything and anything.

Any opinions welcome but also interested in seeing the payload side of running a truck, especially caged - I have no ambition to do a larger vehicle test, and Im not buying a mog! If Im sensible, is it do-able to run a truck within the 3500KG limit regularly?

Tom.

Go on the Arbtrucks forum and the Large Equipment Forum. Read threads on Unimogs and Land Rovers and Transits.

Also read the thread on Overloading on here.

Your payload on a Transit is about half a ton (nothing) if you carry 2 men and minimum gear. Some firms have their Transits overloaded before they go to work.

3.5t vehicles are useless for Arb work so in order to be compliant you have three options.

1: tip off a few/several times a day.

2: buy two 3.5t vehicles.

3: buy a unimog or lorry.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vr1hpr

ive got my B+E test tomorrow morning, its not that tricky what they want you to do. Reverse a simple S into a space, drive for a bit in the way they want, much like roadcraft. Then uncouple and recouple the trailer. test is £115. done my training with an independent guy, £35/hr.

Dear All,

I currently run a Ford Ranger with greedy boards and a light trailer when needed. I am thinking of chopping the ranger in for a truck (transit etc) (maybe caged) as you seem to be able to get them at reasonable price - this means I could release some equity from the ranger and put towards a chipper which I currently hire when needed from a colleague.

(Before asked the reason I cant run a bigger trailer is I am restricted to 750KG as I have a post 97 license or whatever the year was......)

Downside of doing this is obviously my Ranger has multiple uses i.e. I can clean it and its a family car again, off road etc

Upside is I can release some money from it, the mrs has a car anyway, and I can get rid of the monkey trailer and run a vehicle to do everything and anything.

Any opinions welcome but also interested in seeing the payload side of running a truck, especially caged - I have no ambition to do a larger vehicle test, and Im not buying a mog! If Im sensible, is it do-able to run a truck within the 3500KG limit regularly?

Tom.

I might have my 3.5 ton tipper for sale.

Mitsubishi Canter 15000 miles, 150bhp, Immaculate Condition!

Also got a Timberwolf 190 road tow for sale soon, approx 850 hours on it, always serviced at Orange Plant :thumbup: