greenmech feed roller prob.

carlos

Hydraulic oil level?

Would say sensor fault but you cleaned it? Is there power to it?

Is the computer at fault. Any wires hanging or loose? All connections ok?

Sounds like a computer fault, might need reprogramme for the sensor, they can get knocked out of time so it doesn't feed properly.

I have to say I am confused by this posting, and I have to wonder how much you understand about no stress systems.

Firstly the sensor is a solid state coil it dosent have power to it, it generates a small voltage each time the lugs on the pickup ring pases it, this voltage is detected by the no stress device and used to calculate the speed of the flywheel.

The no stress system dosent have a computer per se, so it can't be programmed although some can be calibrated for diferent sensor rings, and as stated the pick up is a solid state coil so, it can't be programmed or calibrated. It also cant be knocked out of time because it isn't timed in any way, it just provides information to the rest of the system

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the stop-bars, cut-outs etc,

If its PTO, perhaps somehow the old sensor etc prior to totally failing was misreading the RPM long turm, thus tricking the chipper NS into thinking the flywheel was turning faster than it was, now with the new sensor etc its reading the RPM’s corectly but because it was under-reading before and you have got use to using the tractor at X rpm on the tractor rev counter it is now to low an RPM for the LED to turn green thus allow the feed rollers to work.

Try a higher tractor RPM, the last Greenmech PTO chipper I used, the LED changed from red to green almost exactly on 540rpm for the 540rpm PTO speed so needed to be ~600rpm no-load so the tractor engine had a small range to be pulled down to before the NS kicked in.

If its drawing power from e.g. a trailer light socket, have you checked the chipper is getting a good earth or positive supply via the trailer light socket, a deficient earth or just a bad positive connection will reduce the voltage quite easily <9v which can hamper electronics and relays thing from working thus staying in fail-safe mode.

thanks for your suggestions i dont think its a fly wheel speed problem as we have over reved it a bit to no avail and also the dealer suggested lowering the cut in point in the box this also didnt work.

so far the lights being on on the box i have taken to mean there is power there so mabey i am wrong to assume this ? does the antistress box just take a positive and negative feed from the trailer light socket??

i guess i can check it there??

would a bad connection from the 12v feed cause the proximity switch to go??

iam fairly sure it was faulty but replacing it hasnt cured the problem.

thanks again for your help, its not my chipper( thank god as the box was pricey!) iam just trying to help my boss get it working.

carl

thanks for your suggestions i dont think its a fly wheel speed problem as we have over reved it a bit to no avail and also the dealer suggested lowering the cut in point in the box this also didnt work.

so far the lights being on on the box i have taken to mean there is power there so mabey i am wrong to assume this ? does the antistress box just take a positive and negative feed from the trailer light socket??

thanks again for your help, its not my chipper( thank god as the box was pricey!) iam just trying to help my boss get it working.

carl

Where are you?

I have to say I am confused by this posting, and I have to wonder how much you understand about no stress systems.

Firstly the sensor is a solid state coil it dosent have power to it, it generates a small voltage each time the lugs on the pickup ring pases it, this voltage is detected by the no stress device and used to calculate the speed of the flywheel.

The no stress system dosent have a computer per se, so it can't be programmed although some can be calibrated for diferent sensor rings, and as stated the pick up is a solid state coil so, it can't be programmed or calibrated. It also cant be knocked out of time because it isn't timed in any way, it just provides information to the rest of the system

our no stress sytem( is not working!! were getting stressed) is a box with a circuit board in which cant be fixed or taken apart as its completly covered with a resin so i dont think they can be reprogramed, dont know much about them so i guess they are a bit different.

thanks carl

As you seem to have pointed out to me in the past treequip some people don't have a degree in mechanical engineering like us so things have to try and be put in a language that is understood.

By reprogramming a system be it mechanical or electrical you are in fact calibrating it to work with the system as all systems with components that work together to ensure the machine runs as it is designed to.

By programming one component you are programming it to work with the others, even slave systems have to be set to work with a master system, in this case the sensors is the slave and the user interface ( being the lights that tell you when it is working properly) is the master as all the reading from the slave systems are all brought together at this station giving a read out.

To look at a no stress system it is simple electromechanical system.

I'm out on this one good luck with the machine, if it was mine it would be excahanged for something that works as a machine that is sat idle is not making money.

carl

Normally, they pull power from the tractor etc via the trailer plug (side lights - trailer plugs have LH & RH side lights) so the side lights on the tractor need to be ON.

Cannot be 100% sure but I seem to recall the LED may flash red when there is a lack of power to power-up the no-stress and stop systems, as the only power then is the pulse from the transducer (hence flashing), once there is power I think the LED will stay ON as a solid red light when the flywheel rpm is to low and thus the no-stress has stopped the feed rollers, and a solid green light when the flywheel rpm is above the no-stress cut-in threshold.

I would check the trailer plugs etc etc to establish if there is 12v power getting to the chipper when the tractor side-lights are on, and e.g. pull another vehicle alongside and try the chipper trailer plug in that vehicle.

There is a no-stress bypass on the GMs I have used (I have no experience of 3pl versions but I'd imagine they are the same). I assume you or the Greenmech rep you refer to has run the machine without the no-stress to check there is not a problem with the hydraulics (ignoring the LED colour for now). If it is definitely a no-stress problem then the electrical feed does look like a culprit IMO.

As you seem to have pointed out to me in the past treequip some people don't have a degree in mechanical engineering like us so things have to try and be put in a language that is understood.

By reprogramming a system be it mechanical or electrical you are in fact calibrating it to work with the system as all systems with components that work together to ensure the machine runs as it is designed to.

By programming one component you are programming it to work with the others, even slave systems have to be set to work with a master system, in this case the sensors is the slave and the user interface ( being the lights that tell you when it is working properly) is the master as all the reading from the slave systems are all brought together at this station giving a read out.

To look at a no stress system it is simple electromechanical system.

I'm out on this one good luck with the machine, if it was mine it would be excahanged for something that works as a machine that is sat idle is not making money.

I don't have a degree in mechanical engineering, (it's an ND and that was a lifetime ago) and based on what you have said in seriously doubt you do either. Most of what was in your posting was completely erroneous and would only send the OP on a wild goose chase looking for live feeds to a sensor and suchlike. The sensor isnt a slave, it is an input. You are in a hole, and you are right to stop digging.

our no stress sytem( is not working!! were getting stressed) is a box with a circuit board in which cant be fixed or taken apart as its completly covered with a resin so i dont think they can be reprogramed, dont know much about them so i guess they are a bit different.

thanks carl

I got what your problem was the comments weren't meant for you, The encased in resin thing is called "potting" and is to give the circuit board some protection from what is a pretty hostile environment.

All no stress systems work in the same way, they monitor the flywheel speed and if that's speed falls below a set value they remove the voltage to a relay, operating a valve that then diverts the hydraulic oil flow away from the feed rollers stopping them until the speed picks up whereupon the voltage is re established allowing the rollers to work again.

What Pete says on green mech is to be believed and since you have replaced the board and the sensor the only part left is the plug you soldered to so i would have a look at that.

hi guys thanks for all the input, i will definatly try an alternitve 12v power feed( prob be monday now.)

as for the plug i soldered on i have had a good look at it and looks ok, is the a way to check the resistance using the ohm setting on a multi meter?

i did this once with a similar motion sensor thing on an old bmw e30, just stuck the probes on the sensor plug and compared the reading to a range that was correct, is this possible with this sort of sensor?? if so does anyone know the ohm range that its ment to be? i could be barking up the wrong tree with that tho.

thanks again carl