Some serious advice needed please chaps.

farmer_ben

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a monumental tosspot.

My two penneth worth Ben.

1. Don't get too worked up about it, he's quite clearly a jumped up pillock with nothing to do in his retirement other than count his money. And logs.

2. Contact the editor, explain how you feel and that it could be construed as libellous and while you wish to rermain anonymous, to avoid legal action being taken against his publication, you expect the magazine to print an editors note something along the lines of the following:

"We have received comments regarding Paul's article in the last issue relating to firewood. As editor of this magazine and a satisfied customer of the same supplier I am duty bound to point out that the firewood supplier used provides an excellent service and Paul's comments, which are perhaps skewed by his own limited personal experience of free fuel and bear little relation to the situation of people who must buy in fuel, are not an accurate representation of the quality and value offered by individual log suppliers.

This publication apologises for allowing an individual columnist to use the magazine for his own personal agenda."

End of the matter. Paul looks like a berk, for those who can identify you from the article, you get a good testimonial from a customer on a public platform, and best of all, no solicitors are paid in the making of this apology.

Like this answer a lot :thumbup1:

I don't think it's as bad as it first looks, but I would have hit the roof and need holding back.

Lots of good advice here though. The only thing I would do is caution against writing a response yourself as this would highlight that he was referring to you. Not everyone will have worked it out. Also if you respond the article you risk loosing your it may appear as shameless advertising, a third party is the way to go. I would suggest getting him down for day so he can comment with authority. But I guess there would be a risk of something happening to him :)

I'd forget it and move on.

The guy is clearly a pompous prat (I bet he's on the parish council, probably chair) the vast majority of people with any sense will see him for what he is and despise him as much as we do, so they hold his opinion in very low regard.

If you try to get an apology or any other redress its just going to add publicity to this uneducated and pathetic little man.

I would also point out to the editor,he mentions"Paying for Water"well where's his average of the moisture content readings,taken with a calibrated meter .

And

I Say And

His average log height and breadth,i once paid for a birch 50p for a 24" birch log ,but was too big for fire as it was 25 feet long...........

The man's a clown but a dangerous one with the potential to harm your business,that's why i always tick the legal cover on my house insurance,oh and a claim on that is not classed as a claim on the house cover

Still no response from the editor despite a few emails, I have calmed down now over the last few days and aim to have a response printed in next months edition along the lines of WorcsWuss's reply above.

Chap I works for writes the farming column in that rag, and said I can use his column to write a "Buyers Guide To Firewood" if I wish, which I think would be great way of dispelling a few misguided quotes in the original article.

Many thanks guys, your replys and support have been great. This really got to me Tuesday but am moving on and not letting one person get to me.

I think the guy is just a tight ersed ex farmer, who resents spending money on anything. The comparision of buying in his own wood and then admitting the transportation issues but not mentioning the cost just shows he is an oaf.

I would persue the route of getting the editor to right a letter as said by worcwuss.