70 - 80cc saws

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the old Stihl Vs Husky debates!

I have always used Stihl and recently got a brand new Husq. 357 XPG and my mate got one too. Both brand new and *!% within a year!!!! One of them seized and the other one piston damaged beyond repair and no compression. Dealers blamed both instances on using Stihl oil instead of Husqvarna oil. Which i personally think is total bull £$%^!!! They said it would cost £400 to repair each one. I told em to stick it and went and bought 3 new Stihl MS341's. Husqvarna - Never again!

Looks like a husky in your avatar...:001_tongue:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm new here so please forgive the possible lack of arb jargon since I am a forestry man! I'm spending some of the winter butressing and felling big Sitka / Hemlock / etc for the FC and in need of a saw for the purpose. I've always been a Stihl man and have been using my rock solid 036 thus far. However, my colleagues are using MS460s for the obvious reason. Looking at saws in this range I have of course considered the Husky 372XP, the Stihl MS441 and MS460. I am least likely to go for the Husky due to price and the two Stihls have frustrating comparitives i.e. they both weigh the same for 0.4hp difference, the 441 is newer technology, costs a little less etc etc etc. The 441s lower emissions actually appeal since an exhaust next to a butress all day tends to dictate ones immediate lungful! I once had an MS660 and have also thought about just getting that, running an 18" bar as I would on all of them (or 20"), and having loads of grunt for another kilo or so, bearing in mind I'm not lifting the saw much. However, I've recently been directed away from the established makes to the Makita DCS 7900/1 since on paper it is lighter and more powerful that 372/441/460. Not only that it costs a lot less too. Carrying a blue saw into the woods is possibly asking for ridicule but I've also heard that the Makita will outcut its immediate rivals. Any thoughts...? I've owned a Makita DCS9010 and it was so heavy I got rid. Thanks. J.

Update: Well, I ended up buying the Makita DCS 7901 (with decompressor) after all that, mainly because of price, almost 200 quid less than a discounted MS460! Hardly used it but so far so good. Must admit, it doesn't seem to have the solid simplicity of a Stihl and I'll probably go on wondering whether I should have got a MS441... If Stihl have been making saws with decent side tensioners and one lever choke / start / stop switches for years, why can't a "new generation" saw get it right???!!! Dissapointed too that 7901 features a single ring piston - not normally equated with long life. Nonetheless, power, weight and price mattered this time so I'll keep using it and update with impressions...

• 1 month later...
I'm new here so please forgive the possible lack of arb jargon since I am a forestry man! I'm spending some of the winter butressing and felling big Sitka / Hemlock / etc for the FC and in need of a saw for the purpose. I've always been a Stihl man and have been using my rock solid 036 thus far. However, my colleagues are using MS460s for the obvious reason. Looking at saws in this range I have of course considered the Husky 372XP, the Stihl MS441 and MS460. I am least likely to go for the Husky due to price and the two Stihls have frustrating comparitives i.e. they both weigh the same for 0.4hp difference, the 441 is newer technology, costs a little less etc etc etc. The 441s lower emissions actually appeal since an exhaust next to a butress all day tends to dictate ones immediate lungful! I once had an MS660 and have also thought about just getting that, running an 18" bar as I would on all of them (or 20"), and having loads of grunt for another kilo or so, bearing in mind I'm not lifting the saw much. However, I've recently been directed away from the established makes to the Makita DCS 7900/1 since on paper it is lighter and more powerful that 372/441/460. Not only that it costs a lot less too. Carrying a blue saw into the woods is possibly asking for ridicule but I've also heard that the Makita will outcut its immediate rivals. Any thoughts...? I've owned a Makita DCS9010 and it was so heavy I got rid. Thanks. J.

I have a Makita dcs7901 and run a 18" bar or a 28" bar on it depending on requirements. it is a fast cutting saw with a lot of grunt and is the only floor saw i need. it out cuts my mates 066 with a 28" bar on it and is easy to maintain. However, it is blue.

• 2 weeks later...

And here's another blue one to add to the list. Just got nice shiny new Makita 7900 today, having used DCS5000 in the past which was a good machine for the money and comparing the Stihl and Husq offerings in the 70-80cc range it seemed like a no brainer when price was factored in... just have to see how it lasts. Pity it's blue but ah well customers won't notice, it'll just be a chainsaw to them!

Think I am displaying lack of brand loyalty as now have a Husq, 2 Echo and 1 Makita!:confused1:

And here's another blue one to add to the list. Just got nice shiny new Makita 7900 today, having used DCS5000 in the past which was a good machine for the money and comparing the Stihl and Husq offerings in the 70-80cc range it seemed like a no brainer when price was factored in... just have to see how it lasts. Pity it's blue but ah well customers won't notice, it'll just be a chainsaw to them!

Think I am displaying lack of brand loyalty as now have a Husq, 2 Echo and 1 Makita!:confused1:

Funny you should say that; I also used to have a garage full of Stihls but now have one Stihl, one Echo and one Makita!

News is tho!: I was going to update this thread anyway since the 7901 finally got to cut some wood today! Hoorah! As hoped, it certainly has some power and doesn't hold back from blasting through hard wood; I'm also running the original 18" bar and not contemplating upsizing so once run in I can safely say it cuts like crazy - very lively, good on fuel and very fast! Got my doubts it would outcut an MS660 on an 18"er but maybe an MS650??.. Yes, it revs and revs! So far so very good then...:001_smile:

Well, had chance to give the new 7900 a warm up and a try out on the timber pile this morning, semms really nicely balanced, revs like billy oh and plenty of grunt too. Postie turned up with 28" Oregon Power match foor it about 1/2hour after I'd fired it up with 18" standard bar. Had a swap over to the 28", not done any serious cutting but still not bad balance especially when held horizontal as for a felling cut. Seems to have plenty enough acceleration and grunt with the bigger bar. I hope it is as good as it appears to be on first impressions especially as comes in for under £400 ex vat and delivery and even the bigger bar chain only adds on another £80. Surely I can't have found a really genuine bargain after 40 years of trying:sneaky2:

I've just gone and got myself a makita dcs9010. I know its a 90cc saw rather than a 70 or 80. What do reckon I could get away with on the smaller bar sizes? I know a 20" bar will fit and work as the manual says what about say for example and 18" bar or is that overkill. Can't wait to get it home and let it rip. Cost 546 including the VAT compare that to a similar sized Husq or Stihl you can see why I went for a blue saw.

I've just gone and got myself a makita dcs9010. I know its a 90cc saw rather than a 70 or 80. What do reckon I could get away with on the smaller bar sizes? I know a 20" bar will fit and work as the manual says what about say for example and 18" bar or is that overkill. Can't wait to get it home and let it rip. Cost 546 including the VAT compare that to a similar sized Husq or Stihl you can see why I went for a blue saw.

I had a 9010 previous to the 7901 and would say the following: it's heavy! Very solidly built though but make sure you use sprocket tip bars as solid ones drain power. I had a 24" bar and would guess it actually suits a 20" rather well...