Some Pictures from Sweden

liamjordan

A good forwarder driver will make a good harvester driver as you get great crane control. I still dislike doing thining in the harvester for exactly the same reason as you.

Have you had the thing at near full lift off the ground where your picking the engine up off the ground too? Frame lock to the max...i did it last week in a bog in Finland it was not a plesent experence. The Ponnse harvesters are so much better in terms of design. Assissting the feed is so easy in ponnse in JD is at pain.

Had snow this week in Finland.

I'm not doing the course. Too much money and i've got the UK & Finnish tickets so other than learning some UK techniques seemed silly to do it.

yeah i find its kind of jumping in at the deep end with machine operation on a thinning site, but its all good.

aha nah i havent, the ground is really good going, the areas i have operated the harvester in have all been really flat, so far there are some steep sections, and as everyone including teachers are off for a 4 day easter weekend me and the other lad have been welding new spikes on the forwarders band tracks for some more steep ground :001_smile:

A lot of snow?

Ah i see fair enough, fozzy is a brilliant teacher, as im doing the engineering course didnt have him much at the beginning, but had him loads recently rebuilding an old brunette forwarder, and a total rebuilt of a log max harvester head, hes also giving me so many pointers for machine operation :thumbup:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah i find its kind of jumping in at the deep end with machine operation on a thinning site, but its all good.

aha nah i havent, the ground is really good going, the areas i have operated the harvester in have all been really flat, so far there are some steep sections, and as everyone including teachers are off for a 4 day easter weekend me and the other lad have been welding new spikes on the forwarders band tracks for some more steep ground :001_smile:

A lot of snow?

Ah i see fair enough, fozzy is a brilliant teacher, as im doing the engineering course didnt have him much at the beginning, but had him loads recently rebuilding an old brunette forwarder, and a total rebuilt of a log max harvester head, hes also giving me so many pointers for machine operation :thumbup:

Everybody learns in thinnings. Makes you pay attention. Yea fair bit of snow. I'm back in blighty now though!

Try and put the tracks on with the crane its good trick to know. The spikes are important i nearly tipped a forwarder under so powerlines because i slid down a hill because i had worn the spikes off on rocks.

Fozzy is a top notch guy.

Everybody learns in thinnings. Makes you pay attention. Yea fair bit of snow. I'm back in blighty now though!

Try and put the tracks on with the crane its good trick to know. The spikes are important i nearly tipped a forwarder under so powerlines because i slid down a hill because i had worn the spikes off on rocks.

Fozzy is a top notch guy.

yeah it does, luckly dont think i've debarked any trees yet...

to be honest we were putting them on last week and found it so easy with a chain up over the wheels and drive on to pull them up, but they are bloody awkward things to move about in the workshop to get in the right position to weld

yeah it does, luckly dont think i've debarked any trees yet...

to be honest we were putting them on last week and found it so easy with a chain up over the wheels and drive on to pull them up, but they are bloody awkward things to move about in the workshop to get in the right position to weld

You tension them with a chain too? I know thats how JD say to do it and it's very popular in the North. Back in Scotland it's a big big big no no to do it. Also changing the chain hanging the head over the track. Use a track tensioner it's easier than the chain and it won't kill you if it breaks.

Pick the up with the crane on the dangle it uner the wheel. drive and lower and thread through the pins. Then shove the tensioner on. If your really good (i've managed it once) you can grab both end of the track and close grapple and shove the gates in. Then put in the clips.

You tension them with a chain too? I know thats how JD say to do it and it's very popular in the North. Back in Scotland it's a big big big no no to do it. Also changing the chain hanging the head over the track. Use a track tensioner it's easier than the chain and it won't kill you if it breaks.

Pick the up with the crane on the dangle it uner the wheel. drive and lower and thread through the pins. Then shove the tensioner on. If your really good (i've managed it once) you can grab both end of the track and close grapple and shove the gates in. Then put in the clips.

yeah we tensioned it with a chain, again went very easy and quickly. We had a chain tensioner with us, but the instructor said the chain way was quicker and he thought easier so we did it that way.

Sounds a bit complicated for my crane skills ahahah

Awesome!!!

great experience :)

cheers man, really enjoying it!

Loving hearing about your progress there Liam, good stuff, and good to see a young un immersing himself fully into his education :thumbup: keep up the good work, and keep us informed as and when you can. Bet your Grandad is well pleased for you. :001_smile:

thank man, means a lot to hear that! See it makes me appreciate trips like this even more as there were only 2 spaces to come and me and the other lad, were picked to come due to i guess how well we've been getting on in class, so it is truly a great experience!

Will do, plently more pictures to come up at some point! Amazing how much you can learn from a picture thread like this, for example the things brushcutter has previously said.

Thanks for the comments :001_smile:

cheers man, really enjoying it!

thank man, means a lot to hear that! See it makes me appreciate trips like this even more as there were only 2 spaces to come and me and the other lad, were picked to come due to i guess how well we've been getting on in class, so it is truly a great experience!

Will do, plently more pictures to come up at some point! Amazing how much you can learn from a picture thread like this, for example the things brushcutter has previously said.

Thanks for the comments :001_smile:

Thought of a good forwarder tip. when doing the sides pull all the stuff up against the bolsters and open and it will all roll out flat. Out of interest do you have freecut on plulp in Sweden. In Finland pine pulp is from 2.6-5.2m and it all goes in the same pile. Logs have lengths but you don't have to sort them into lengths liek you do here. Same in Sweden?