can i cut this off?

James Atkinson

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was referring to his ppe

I check my own gear, if I got someone to check it for me, as soon as they had gone I would check it again for myself.

However, my groundies climbing gear is lolered by someone else.

I like to be in control of my own life and not put my life in the hands of others when it comes to my own ppe.

Nothing to do with an insult to intelligence :001_smile:

There is the point Dean, you are supposed to check it yourself, pre use and weekly, regardless of the 6 or 12 monthly inspection.

I don't use unmarked untagged unchecked gear and I have enough knowledge to know whether a rope is damaged on the inside, inspecting ropes and crabs is absolutely basic and if you are entrusting your life to them you should know how to inspect them for yourself.

I know a few idiots that climb on half severed ropes or mouldy ropes, despite this being pointed out

If any of my gear gets cut, I resplice it or replace it.

right, i with i had cut it off!!!!! somehow and don't ask me how, while i was lowering my ART pulleysaver out the tree the throw line got stuck on the plastic bit i was on about and like a cheese string, cut though under the plastic sheath and through the splice, now i understand this isn't a common thing, and prob was my folt for getting tanged, but it would not have happened if it wasn't there, now i have to have a week old tachyon re-spliced, not happy

The point is LOLER inspections are carried out by certified competent persons. They are accountable should the worst happen. Standing in court to argue your competence will not work without the cert. You may be a brilliant driver but without the bit of paper from the man your not in the eyes of the law. It is about accountability, if you want to certify your own gear do the course. That is assuming your insurance company will accept you checking your own kit as some dont.

i think people are getting the wrong end of the stick with all of this, i have no problem with splicers putting these sheaths and information on the rope, as its the law, kinda simple, and i don't want them to produce them without them, i just wanted to know if i could cut it off, simple

i think people are getting the wrong end of the stick with all of this, i have no problem with splicers putting these sheaths and information on the rope, as its the law, kinda simple, and i don't want them to produce them without them, i just wanted to know if i could cut it off, simple

james just cut it of mate, then stick it back on the base of your rope with more shrink wrap.....

out the way but still there simples.........ffs