afghanistan

sussexlad

just wondering about peoples opinions on our troops in afghanistan? with 2 guys killed yesterday by an afghan soldier its been fresh in my mind.

personally i dont see the point in being there anymore, my view is even if we stay the full term, within a year or two it will probably have descended to how it is now or before.:thumbdown:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why we ever went in the first place is still a complete mystery ... No one has ever won a war there , what they thought would be different this time ? Apart from American ignorance and tony blaires will to please his masters I can't think of any?

The US Mission ended the Day the person in the whitehouse announced when US force would start to deploy out of the country. No Military leader would ever show their cards in advanced unless the plan was to have the country return back to the Taliban. Present military leadership from the top down with the Afghanistan Military is very infiltrated with Taliban,others waiting for US Pull out, NATO forces are more or less sitting ducks ATM.

The CNC of this country has been so anti Military that it makes me sick at best and at worse I choose not to say, not here anyway! God bless all of our troops and our allies.

easy-lift guy

I'm not anti military but any person with sense would analyse history and realise that it's not possible to walk away with overal victory in Afghanistan ... It bankrupt Russia now it's are turn we should of got out years ago.

prolonging this further is just damaging us more ,from are economy to are different community's in are country and supplying extremist with ammunition and a will to fight are society more.

I support are troops 100% but who ever came up with this great plan needs a head check up

Tough one to answer,history puts a dull outlook on any thought out conclusion,& we only get to judge on the info we get over here.

It would be lovely to think we have & will make a positive contribution to the calming of the troubles enveloping the area,& also to take the anger & turmoil that aflicts those living there & elswhere from the equasion.

I do feel that blood will be spilt for many years to come,if its theirs after we slowly pull out it will fade from our vision,if it continues to be ours then it will continue to be a focal point.

I wonder to what extent the average Russian is still interested in such things now time has faded their excursions into the area...

i think there must be another reason we are there that we dont know, otherwise why did the russians invade in the 80's? im fairly sure we arent there for the good of the world, its just the politicians front.

as ELG says corruption is rife, and is ingrained in the culture.

it would be great to make a difference,but i was there in 2006/07 and from what i have seen lately on tv it hasnt really come along much in 5 years.

i would be intersted aswell to see if any russians follow what happening today.

Why we ever went in the first place is still a complete mystery ... No one has ever won a war there , what they thought would be different this time ? Apart from American ignorance and tony blaires will to please his masters I can't think of any?

I think this is one of the few times we agree on a political subject Matty :thumbup:

I think it was something to do with a gas pipeline,and they have huge reserves of natural gas in the project the afgahnastan government would of seen about 8% of the profits.

All gas going to India and Pakistan comes from Russia who is constantly threatening to turn it off they also knew of the huge reserves.... But the reality is, it's probably the most stupid idea given the Taliban is not going to go away and would even if it had got going taken great delight in blowing holes in it!! Maybe that's why we are taking a more friendly approach with the Taliban now.