2012 so far? Good for business???

TimberCutterDartmoor

Going really well down here, booked into late May, virtually all private customers, a couple of managing agents for shared gardens (though dropped one who now wants 12.5% off invoice if they pay me - hohohoho). Lots of repeat business and recommendation - no yellow pages this year but website is doing pretty well.

I find things tail off slightly in late spring so the lead time will drop to a few weeks - then every summer it goes mad.

I try to keep the odd day for contingency (crap weather, high value - short notice desperate customer).

So far so good - but who knows whats round the corner???

As for slow paying customers, never really had issues apart from the really rich ones on the private estates. They pay in the end but like to feel theyve made a bit by delaying it

Currently catching up on admin at home after mis-hap in the alps. I know my guys will be working hard right now.... errrrr

business not the busiest - more of fits and spurts and this allows us to respond quickly to work requests which is good for clients.

You can't let bad payers screw your business

I take it you mean FC not paying you

If so - write to your MP

It may ruffle a few feathers

No not the FC, the snake middle men / consultants...

The FCA have been a great help but court action takes well over 12 months. Ones rights in these instances including interest on the balance are quite toothless tbh. Of course, the company in question have 12 new hilux's to swan around in so they're doing just fine.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Arborist work has been quieter here, but I notice its a similar story for other people in Suffolk. Not the same elsewhere by the looks of it. Wonder if we are 1. Just experiencing general downturn more or 2. There are too many Tree Cutters out here, so diluting the market. Thoughts?

Local colleges are churning out trainees left right and centre, over-populating an already over-populated area, we are at saturation point in this area. What realistic ideas they are given I have no idea, but expectations seem to exceed abilities. Thankfully, few make the grade and clear off elsewhere.

Our little kindling venture good last year and going well now. Generator work dried up last year but booming now. Logs waste of time this winter hopefully will have the sense not to bother in future :biggrin:

you got you much work with olympics?reckon they ve hired every big set in the country!

Good quality jobs so far, the winds were a big help this year, turnover will be down but proffit will be up(less running around) This year i'v upped my prices by 20% on last year- as a result i'v lost most of the rubbish work but gained far more quality work which has been better paid , mostly from clients who have appreciated a detailed specification within the quotation- on the whole my terms have been met and most pay upon completion, i now also quote via the internet with out even seeing the job, google earth ext its great, its working ok but i do have a lot of years exsperrence which helps and know my areas well. A lot of work comes from second home owners from the internet using photographs and description.