New Groundie: You're Fired!!

Billy Goat Gruff

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

Hard to share an opinion.

All I know, is that I don't even operate a blower without being aware of the surrounding area. It's not just the machine, but what's around.

I don't operate stuff like chippers unless I'm checking the street for pedestians, children or autos. So in doing so, certainly I'll be looking where the truck should be. I always watch the discharge shoot even with an empty box, to know where chute is aimed.

But I know I've done a goof of a different kind, although I'm not sure how comparable it is.

After a week of not doing my work, I drove to town with an empty trailer that's too narrow to see in my mirrors. About 20 minutes later, I took a wrong turn, and pulled into a driveway to turn around. Forgot the trailer was behind me, couldn't see it, and jackknifed it into my right quarterpanel after looking into my rearview windshield mirror.

Look at it another way, the other guys will be doubly carefull too, and watch their own actions. necessary evil of being the boss.

......Not in my experience, though to be fair I have worked with some unbelievable clowns ( sigh )..............

............one guy actually putting a ( running ) 44 on topof the climbers rope pile ( I had just sharpened it tooooo !) -Kid you not...

Edited by Khriss

Just taken on a couple of new guy's, to help on the ground.

One young lad has done a year at college, and on his C.V. he says he has good excellent key skills, and works well unsupervised.

Well we were doing a Macrocarpa take down on the A12 slip road, lots of traffic etc, and we got the tipper full of chip, so I shoot off to tip leaving the guys to log up trunk etc, and guard the gear (we had every chancer in the district cruise by, several of them twice).

I get back and there is all wood chip over the road?

So I ask around, and nobody knows anything about it. Strange that!

Anyway get back and I grill the new guy's, one doesn't know at all how it got there, so on final interegation, he admits that he turned on the chipper, but the branches went through themselves, well we all know thats not going to happen. They are both trained on the TW190TR that we operate, so it transpired that he fed them through and then realised there was no van there!!

Was I too harsh in firing him

I don't think so it was a health and safety issue, but the other groundie thought that he should have been given another chance.

Wot u think:thumbdown::thumbup1:

The fact you are asking us shows you are in 2 minds, far to harsh IMO give him a call on give him another chance :001_smile:

worlds full of what if's however were you working on the side of the road the mother and child could have walked past, if so surely under health and safety then i'm sure a footpath closure may have been in order. I think you may have been a bit harsh in this case give him a talking to and give him a chance.

Perhaps you need to reflect on your own sense of H& S.....no footpath closure(?)..leaving site with inexperienced muppets swinging chainsaws...none too clever either on the face of it imo.....Granted, he seems a bit dull to not notice the lack of truck but you didnt fire him for being congenitally stupid did you? You took him on.....you gotta give him a fair go!